Were can I get an extra deep 35mm impact socket?

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
I just noticed I need to replace my front hubs. I do not have a 35mm socket for the axle nut.

Thus far I've been unable to find one that is deep enough. Everything I've seen is only 1-1/2" on the inside. I need 2" on the inside.

EDIT: Today search results are popping right up /dogheadtilt.

Amazon popped one right up for $90 Forking dollars!

McMaster-Carr has one for a more realistic price, $40.

Note: Impact socket

If anyone knows where to get one cheaper please post.

Last edited:

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
I've never needed an impact wrench for my hub nuts, just a 35mm socket from Advance Auto and a breaker bar. The ones from most of the generic auto parts stores'll run you around $20-$25, and so far have been easily able to handle the correct torque specs when tightening them back down.

Reactions: mrrsm

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
Bolt depth is the issue. All the generic ones have only a 1-1/2" bolt depth. I need one with at least 2" bolt depth.

Add to that, the only websites I've found so far that actually gives the specs of it's tools are McMaster-Carr and Snap-On. I want the right tool the first time. Of course the Snap-On costs twice as much but thier tools come with a lifetime warranty that I've never needed for any of my Snap-On tools.

I prefer impact because I have a toolbox full of air tools and an industrial compressor in the garage. My 1/2" impact produces 600ft/lb and will pop regular sockets if I'm not careful. Add to that, at this size the impact socket are often cheaper due to no chrome finish.

Front Axle Nut.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: christo829

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
You think the Amazon cheapie is deep enough? I have nothing against certain cheap tools, like large sockets, especially when I'll probably only use them once. I'm planning to get the hubs there too. I've read a lot of good things about the TRQ hubs.
EDIT: Someone answered my question on Amazon, they say the 35mm is 2-1/4 deep.
and...I just got two more answer to the same question. Another person says 2" and the seller says "about 44mm" which is only 1-3/4 in. /facepalm

And perhaps used in conjunction with a "Half-Inch Drive Force Multiplier"
Naw, my 1/2" drive torque wrench goes to 150 ft/lbs and I have a 24" Snap-On breaker bar I can literally jump on if one of the nuts is too stubborn for my IR Impact. You can see in the photo I've already soaked and cleaned the threads.

Harbor Freight https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in...e=go&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=cpnlink
Product Overview says "Extra-long sockets for servicing axle lock-nuts on front-wheel drive vehicles"

In the specifications section it says "Product Length 3-1/2" "
We actually have a Harbor Freight very close by but I already have sockets upto 32mm and some specialty ones much bigger, just not a 35mm. I don't want to buy a set and they don't sell a single one that's deep enough.

Last edited:

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Since you're posting in the TB/Envoy section, I was assuming this was for a GMT360, and the 35mm I got from Advanced Auto *did* fit properly when I was replacing my wheel hubs, so while I can't testify to its ability to hold up under impact wrench forces, I *can* say it not only fit (though I don't have it in front of me to get a proper inside measurement) the axle shaft and nut with no problem, but was also able to tolerate proper torque. So at least you've got a few options, though I definitely understand you wanting one that you *know* will survive an impact wrench. And it was bought as a single socket, not in a set.

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
I'm specifically looking for a 35mm socket with at least a 2" "bolt depth".

I am not assuming any other information. My vehicle may not have the original axles, I do not know. Unless someone measures their axles like I did in the photo and then tells me the brand, part number, and purchase date of the socket they have that fits, it's just guessing. The axles may be different, the vendor might not still sell the same socket, there's just too many variables.

I only know what I can measure. That and very few tool sellers actually list the full specifications of thier sockets.

Well, I also know the local autozone seems to have a socket in stock now and that I can go down there and they will let me take it outside and see if it fits before buying it so that's my first option.

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe more people can complain to vendors about not listing proper specs on thier websites.

35mm deep socket.JPG

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
The Duralast socket from Autozone does fit my vehicle with 10mm bolt clearance to spare.

I edited the previous drawing with it's specifications.

Duralast 35mm deep socket-1.jpgDuralast 35mm deep socket.jpg

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catfish520.na

Members Online