Yeah, that guy again. Two suspension questions!

Sid Coleman

Original poster
Nov 9, 2019
Maryland
OK, truck drives nice since the LCA's were replaced. However, and I'm being nit-picky: the truck now seems to pull to the right on acceleration. Not hard, just a drift. And same thing to the left when decelerating. Rear axle moving around? Just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. It does have about 170K on it (07 9-7x 5.3).

2nd question: how often is normal for the rear air bags to reinflate? Had them replaced about 3 years ago. Seems like every time I start it, the pump kicks on, and variable timing after that.

Thanks all for putting up with me. I should have saved for an Aero as much as I've spent on this one :/, but I like it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would imagine you had it aligned after? Pulling is usually indicative of something loose. Mine pulls to the left when I brake because of a worn right outer tie-rod.

There might be a check valve that's leaking. there is a writeup on that somewhere here. However, this is such an expensive and failure prone system that peopke usually just rip out the bags and put in coils. Mine had already been converted when I bought it.

Reactions: Sid Coleman

Sid Coleman

Original poster
Nov 9, 2019
Maryland
Yes, posted it in the LCA thread. Not perfect but within spec.
Weird thing is that under light throttle, it tracks straight. Give it some gas and it'll slowly start heading right, lift off and it goes slowly left. Looks like I'm going back to the shop....again. Wish I had a lift!

I'll search for the check valve, thanks! I just worry how it would ride if I deleted the bags. I enjoy how it drives as is.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
You mentioned you replaced the lower control arms... Did that include the brackets?

Did you check the upper control arms? Tie Rods? Ball Joints? To be doing what yours is doing, my Saab did that last year, and it was the control arm bracket bushing.

Reactions: Mooseman

Sid Coleman

Original poster
Nov 9, 2019
Maryland
You mentioned you replaced the lower control arms... Did that include the brackets?

Did you check the upper control arms? Tie Rods? Ball Joints? To be doing what yours is doing, my Saab did that last year, and it was the control arm bracket bushing.
So far, I've replaced both LCA's with new brackets and 1 UCA on the right.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So far, I've replaced both LCA's with new brackets and 1 UCA on the right.
Might be time to check/replace that other UCA.. Beyond that, road wander could be everything I listed out above.. Just a matter of finding the culprit.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
For your airbag question... these airbag systems rely on slip on compression fittings, and never "fully" seal. So their is always a bit of loss of air in the system. As long as once its aired up, and just sitting there, it doesnt reactivate the air compressor for about 30 mins, I think you are good. If its continuously cycling, then you have a larger air leak, and run the risk of burning out the compressor.

Just as a reminder, the system will always turn on the air compressor during initial key cycle. It does this as a system check, and to make sure the.. the.. I cant remember the name of it... But its a small air charge ball at the compressor, before the check valve.

Sid Coleman

Original poster
Nov 9, 2019
Maryland
Thanks Brian, great info.
Finally got some lift time-it's the left rear UCA, was broken. Hope I'm finally done replacing parts on this thing for a while so I can enjoy it :smile:

Thanks again to all for your response!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJack

Members Online