NEED HELP Why is the IPC/DIC hooked to the battery?

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
Hey people,

I'm the proud new owner of a 2004 GMC Envoy XUV, and some of the issues that come with this GM vehicle apparently.

Almost everything worked when I got it. So far I've replaced the midgate window regulator, several burned out bulbs, and I've ordered the parts to repair the leaking fuel tank. The tank is going to be fun as someone tried to fix it using about 2lbs of some black goo. The little electric tire pump in the back doesn't seem to work either though the outlet above it does.

This morning my battery was completely dead. I ended up here, I read, I watched videos, I copied the troubleshooting steps, and the instument cluster is pulling over 300ma when the vehicle is off. The little electronics meter I used only goes up to 300ma and the needle was pegged.

I've already located a place that will rebuild the cluster for $150.

My question is, why does the IPC/DIC need constant power?

For the moment I've installed a jumper (with a 10a inline fuse) between the supply side of the IGN-E fuse (#22) and the feed side of the IPC/DIC fuse (#24) so the cluster doesn't get any power until the key is turned to the ign position.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Pretty much all modules have constant power to them and go to sleep when commanded with minimal power draw. This is so that they are ready to quickly wake up when required. For the IPC, this is to display mileage when the door is opened even though power is not turned on yet. It will go back to sleep afterwards. All modules are like this, even the radio so it can play chimes when lights are left on or the key is left in the ignition.

Reactions: mrrsm

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I will add that the very instant the network is awakened by things like pressing a keyfob button or opening a door or the like the IPC starts communicating with the BCM and other modules even when there is no key in the ignition and nothing showing on the cluster display.

Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
After a bit more searching I've found numerous Instrument cluster rebuilders.

All are the same price, $150 for a full rebuild except one is $100 with optional same day trunaround for $50.

Does anyone know of any of them that should be avoided?

@Mooseman I put this in the wrong forum. Can you move this thread to the one that includes the Envoy?

Last edited:

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
I settled on these guys https://www.gmgaugerepair.com/

I shop, read reviews, and from what I can find they've been doing it the longest and the very few negative reviews were for issues caused by the people leaving the reviews.

Reactions: TJBaker57

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online