What are you doing today? [Part II]

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Drove a guy that was picking up his 2004 Caddy XLR with the supercharged 4.2 Northstar. Kinda cool but weird. It's basically a rebadged Corvette with a Caddy engine. This one was having door issues where the pushbutton door lock wouldn't open the door. Took over a month for the parts.

The licence plate accurately describes it.
PXL_20230628_141128809.jpgPXL_20230628_141111959.jpgPXL_20230628_141100924.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Those XLR-V's are cool little cars. A flop for Cadi.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
After much research and web shopping, I went and test drove this little fella today. I can only make this work if I keep the TB for winter driving, but I still like the Trailblazer so that's not a negative. Leaning toward purchasing an EV but no finger on the trigger ATM.

Attachments

• 2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-lt-4dr-hatchback.jpg
    2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-lt-4dr-hatchback.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 7

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've driven a few of those at work. A bit small for my 6'2" 265lbs frame but it's surprisingly quick. Unfortunately GM are discontinuing them at the end of this year. They make great commuter cars.

Reactions: Eric04 and Matt

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
I've driven a few of those at work. A bit small for my 6'2" 265lbs frame but it's surprisingly quick. Unfortunately GM are discontinuing them at the end of this year. They make great commuter cars.
I thought I might feel like a fat guy in a clown car, but at 6 ft. and 220 lbs it wasn't cramped at all. I liked how it drove, and yes, great for daily commute(in 3 seasons). Ultium platform does leave these out. All good. I still feel like it's a good way to dip my toe into the inevitable.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Our AC took a shit on the weekend, blowing cool not cold. After some Googling, I got a can of coil cleaner and attacked the condenser, inside and out, Let it dwell for 10 minutes then hosed everything out.
Turned everything back on and after a minute or two had 54° blowing out the vents in the loungeroom. .

I'll have to wait until it's more humid this weekend to see if that's fixed it. If it hasn't, it probably needs a recharge.
Update, all is well and the AC seems to be working well.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Took my dog to the vets for a shot and on the way home passed a Chevy dealer.Wife noticed a red RS Blazer and said “ooh I like that”….I now own it.
Actually we were thinking of trading in the 2015 Nox for a Telluride but, with all the Kia thefts we passed.
Wife liked the “Red hot” paint I like the na 3.6 V6. F6C29A46-C74E-4C15-AFEF-A9BDD1E035A6.jpeg

Last edited:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Took my dog to the vets for a shot and on the way home passed a Chevy dealer.Wife noticed a red RS Blazer and said “ooh I like that”….I now own it.
Actually we were thinking of trading in the 2015 Nox for a Telluride but, with all the Kia thefts we passed.
Wife liked the “Red hot” paint I like the na 3.6 V6. Pictures to follow.

The Telluride wasn't affected. This is the list...I own a Sportage and my wife a Seltos.

• 2011–2021 Forte
  • 2021–2022 K5
  • 2011–2020 Optima
  • 2011–2021 Rio
  • 2011–2021 Sedona
  • 2021–2022 Seltos
  • 2010–2022 Soul
  • 2011–2022 Sorento
  • 2011–2022 Sportage

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
The Telluride wasn't affected.
What I was able to find out was that the Telluride got corrected in late 2022. Just the same I could see some knucklehead tearing the column apart only to discover that he had the wrong KIA..

Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Drove to Toronto as we were picking up my wife's cousin and her two sons coming from Finland via New York. Staying for a few days visiting the area and then we're all heading back to our place to visit the sights there. I may not be as active on the forum so y'all behave.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Drove to Toronto as we were picking up my wife's cousin and her two sons coming from Finland via New York. Staying for a few days visiting the area and then we're all heading back to our place to visit the sights there. I may not be as active on the forum so y'all behave.
PARTY TIME! :woohoo:

Tomorrow going to go look at a 5 acre property and old farmhouse. Maybe crazy in this housing climate, but the asking price is surprisingly good, so I wonder what's wrong with it.

Drove past it yesterday just to get a quick preview ourselves to see how it looked outside of the photos and it generally looks kept up ok. Could use some gutters repaired/replaced in a couple spots, some exterior paint. From the looks of the window AC units I suspect the central AC is maybe busted. I can use that as bargaining leverage as that is a big $ item to replace, but I can do 99% of it myself (equipment is still not cheap BUT I can do it a lot cheaper than a contractor!).

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have also been looking at the Atoto decks. WatchJRGo from YouTube seems to really like them.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well looked at the farmhouse.

COULD be very nice. WAS very nice.

BUT....

The gutters have been missing for apparently a very long time, the cellar basement has obviously been flooding for a long time, easily 2-3 feet of water would just stand in it (rusted furnace and water heater sides are quite the telltale), and because of the water damage in there the center of the house is basically sinking. The walls are all leaning in a bit, but the chimney is not, so it is pulled away from the wall which just has made it worse. The metal roof has bad spots that need replaced. And the foundation block in places is showing signs of shifting, again likely because of the water not being drained away from it properly.

CAN it be fixed? Yes. But it needs a lot more work than I can do, and a LOT more money than I have.

Sad because it could be such a beautiful property, if it had been maintained. And given that the (presumably) younger guy who was living there with the elderly woman to (presumably) care for her (not sure if kid or grandkid) was too worried about spending money on a newer mustang, a couple motorcycles, and a few dozen designer shoes :hopeless:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
4 days of basically driving, just got back home after a total of 1600km. Not finished yet, driving some more tomorrow to Cornwall to get a couple of quads, take them to the family 50 acre lot so our Finnish visitors can have some fun there for the day, and then bring them back to Cornwall. Maybe Sunday I can take a break? I'm spent like a $5 dollar bill.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Got off work Thursday looking forward to my long weekend that I get every other week.. Got plans for Friday to get the Saturn Inspected (it passed), going to the cabin once the wife gets off work, and just having a nice weekend.

But as I am driving home, I am just not feeling right. Throat is feeling raw, then when I get home I start coughing... A LOT! Sometimes with blood, most of the time just thick nasty mucus.

Everything hurts... I Barely had the energy to get the Saturns emission inspection done, but needed to get that done. Its hard to swallow, sleep, eat..

Another weekend all f-ed up.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Back home. Total 1900km. Spent the night at the BIL's but he's a cheap ass and doesn't have A/C in his house so sweat-a-rama all night on a too-soft bed which screwed up my back. Had to pressure wash the truck bed as the quad dumped a bunch of mud in it.

That should be it for a couple of days. They're staying with the SIL until Wed and then they're staying at our place where they can enjoy our pool and some BBQ.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Put about 70 miles on the new 3 season DD that I picked up yesterday. Efficiency @ 60mph held up well, @ 75mph it's a juice guzzler. Everything I had read told me to expect this though. All in all, Chevy did a good job on these and I'm sure it'll fit my needs.

Attachments

• 20230716_103103.jpg
    20230716_103103.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230716_103143.jpg
    20230716_103143.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 8

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
A Chevy Bolt I think... Am considering one a as a fill in until my Rivian comes in.

Reactions: Eric04

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Had quite the busy week out here. Lots of fencing done so that the usual 100+ calves could roll in Friday for penning. My oldest took the beginners clinic that evening and loved it. A great bunch people this club is.

Saturday had a nasty start as a friend of ours, whos an experienced rider had a bad crash with a calf. Toppled them and their horse on top. The air ambulance came out. They are doing quite well, better than expected.

My girl had seen the crash but still entered in and got into the mix and did great for a beginner.

Today I made some time to work on my quad. U joints greased, hub and transmission oil changed. Will do oil in the fall. Then fixed the broken recoil rope on my 30+ year old Husqvarna 32R. Bought the wrong sized rope so I just re-wound the old stuff. Still had enough meat left to work. Deglazed the clutch and drum and cleaned up some moving parts. Works great and ready to run.

I also picked up a short creeper stool. About bloody time. Had about enough sitting and kneeling on concrete in my life. The shop floor is a nice smooth finish so she rolls for days. My knees and back thank me.

I took one random, token picture...

Attachments

• 20230719_172945.jpg
    20230719_172945.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 2

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Also made steak and ribs a couple days back. Steak finished on the gas grill using the cast iron and brazing the ribs on it. Always comes out great. We don't fck around up here.

Attachments

• 20230717_184846.jpg
    20230717_184846.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230717_184308.jpg
    20230717_184308.jpg
    877 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230717_183236.jpg
    20230717_183236.jpg
    982 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230717_132637.jpg
    20230717_132637.jpg
    893.9 KB · Views: 0

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Doing some ribs today as we have the visitors from Finland but I was out of pellets for the smoker. Off to Costco I go after I prep and rub the ribs to let them sweat. Used an African Berbere spice mix (the ones with the flags) and a regular rib rub from Bulk Barn. Turned out good but I think I had the smoker running too hot (250) as some of the undersides were burnt. The African ribs had a nice kick to them. Using some BBQ sauce on them sorta fixed the burnt ones.

PXL_20230719_172440023_resized5180381796725192115.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mine does 200 and 250. I may have left them on too long before wrapping. I think it was mostly the ones directly over the burn box.

Today, I threw in a butt rubbed with the Berbere seasoning. Was running it at 200 and I just cranked it up to 250 to finish it off. It's meat Jello. So much juice came out of it I had to spoon it out before moving it. Pulled so easy and tastes fantastic. It's for Saturday when we all go up to the cottage. Tonight we had chicken and beef fajitas grilled on the gasser.

PXL_20230720_141443730_resized4951199143136975990.jpg PXL_20230721_005354708_resized4282211536233030709.jpgPXL_20230721_005835505_resized7691175257934341678.jpg

And I did the brakes on the trailer today that was smoking. I think out of the 4, only one worked. And the one that didn't look too bad had a broken wire. No wonder it didn't brake much. And these will be self-adjusting so I won't have to do this so often. This is the one that the drum was gouged badly by the magnet.

PXL_20230720_172013440_resized6152523257660235665.jpgPXL_20230720_172017951_resized8358442338760570885.jpgPXL_20230720_172021032_resized8655355666823849365.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Bought a Makita weed eater because I was sick n tired of fighting the very old 2 cycle that just didn't want to run right anymore plus started leaking gas all over (again). So much nicer (and quieter!).

And today got notice my escrow was running short and they had to jack my payment up because property tax jumped by 17%. Ouch...

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
And today got notice my escrow was running short and they had to jack my payment up because property tax jumped by 17%. Ouch...
The same thing happened to me last year. I called the bank that holds my mortgage and asked them how much I needed to pay into my escrow account to keep my mortgage payment at it's current level. It came to a bit over $1,800! I'll probably have to do the same thing this year, or next spring at the latest, as my home valuation jumped from $142,000 to $183,000! Home prices here are just ridiculous!

• Wow
Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Tried to take advantage of an overcast morning to finally upgrade my 4MP and 5MP cameras on the house, with a pair of dual lens 8MP cameras I scored on Prime Day. But of course, as soon as I got the ladder outside, the clouds scattered :mad:

20230722_080849_resize.jpg

The front pair were 4MP, and were decent enough during the day, but at night time the video quality tanked. The dual lens camera stiches the 2 feeds together to make a single 180 degree view. Before and after shots... I had forgotten how large of a hole I drilled for the one on the right, left one was already there. To avoid crawling through that part of the attic, I used a couple pieces of pvc conduit to feed the ethernet cable through the hole for easy access from the outside. Used some wood putty to fill much of it, will sand that down, and finish the hole with some wood filler after it sets.
20230722_082527 resize.jpg20230722_093352 resize.jpg

How the front yard was displayed with the 2 camera feeds vs the wide one.
7 Front Pre.jpg7 Front Post.jpg

Then moved around to the side of the house, bit of a higher peak to reach the 5MP camera. This one had zoom capability, but it really wasn't needed as this was the shortest distance of coverage. In hindsight, I always tell myself I'm going to remove the dinky cameras the PO had installed, but by the time I get up there I've forgotten, and it's too damn hot to be bothered. I also need to take down that old motion light. It burns through bulbs too fast to be useful. :hopeless:
20230722_082545 resize.jpg20230722_090817 resize.jpg

Interface display, before and after. I used to have a pair of blind spots, where the light pole is between the right side of the front view, and the left side of the main street view. There was another one on the right side of the main street view next to my fence and tree, and the rear camera that looks down the street. Both of those are now gone, so I'm pretty happy so far. There's a lot more vertical coverage from both cameras, so that's a bonus.

7 Side Pre.jpg7 Side Post.jpg

I had seen some negative comments about how the feeds are stitched together. Depending on light sources, one side can appear brighter than the other, with a clear line showing you where the split is. That makes logical sense if you have 2 cameras pointed in slightly different directions, direct light will affect them differently.

There were also complaints about the 2 feeds not being perfectly aligned. On closer look, yeah both of mine were slightly off from each other. But if you look under the Advanced section of the display settings, there's distance, horizontal and vertical adjustments to get things lined up. Mine weren't off by much, a couple ticks here and there and I was satisfied. We'll have to see how things look after the sun goes down. :thumbsup:

For kicks and giggles, this is how the 'all view' looked on my laptop before and after. Will take a little bit of getting used to, but shouldn't take long. :cool:

7 All Pre.jpg7 All Post.jpg

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
I mad a smoke machine today. Now, I don't have to smoke my own cigars, I can have the machine do it.
OK, I'm just kidding! I don't smoke anything, legal or illegal. Never have, never will.
I've been chasing a P0455 code on the wife's '06 TB, cannot figure out where it's coming from, so I made this little toy to help. All told I have put less than $50 into it. The compressor I already had, it never gets used anymore. I'm glad I didn't get rid of it!
Smoke Machine.jpeg

It uses baby oil to create the smoke. The heating element is 24 gauge Nichrome resistance wire.
The test port end is metal air hose repair barb which is shoved into a piece of 1/4" ID clear vinyl tubing, which in turn is shoved into the end of a 5 foot length of 3/8" ID clear vinyl tubing, and secured with a hose clamp.
Smoke machine fitting.jpeg

I have a computer power supply which I converted into a workbench power supply to supply power for my various nefarious projects. I wasn't sure that the 12V output would supply enough amps to heat up the resistance wire, but when I put some baby oil into this baby and powered it up it made smoke all over everywhere! :smile:
I got the idea for this project here:

This project brings to mind a question I've often pondered: If peanut oil is made from peanuts, and corn oil is made from corn, what's baby oil made from? 🤔😱

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Neighbor's kid has a Malibu with the 3.6L V6. It blew a giant steam cloud out from under the hood and shut down a couple nights ago. They can't figure out where it blew any coolant out of (I guess it just all steamed off right away). Right before it happened he said it started bogging on him, but no warning lights were on, gauges looked normal, then it just died. It had codes and it wouldn't even try cranking over the next morning. When I went to check the codes with my scanner the battery was dead as they had left the ignition on accidentally. When they charged it, the codes were gone, so we tried cranking it over. The starter just went "weeeeeee" free-spinning the engine. Uh oh, no compression. Something blew up good.

It has 240k miles on it, so at this point he's just car shopping instead of putting money into fixing it. It needs tires anyway (good thing he didn't replace them last week like he was planning!), the body is rusting in a couple places, and was going to need some other big maintenance items in not too long, so it just doesn't really make sense to dump money into repairing it.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
A bit of a vent here.. sorry.

Since I was a baby, I always have had memories of going to my grandmas cabin in the woods, that she hand built back in the 1940's. This got past on to my dad when she died. And it was supposed to have been passed onto me when he died. Well he never got around to remaking his will. So now it goes to 5 heirs. Me, my 3 brothers, and my dads wife. Brothers and dads wife have no interest in it, except for the monetary $$.

Had a meeting with my lawyer on Friday, as my fathers estate is taking forever (3.5 years), and this cabin I want. My understanding is that I had the option to buy it at market value at time of death. Well I was wrong. So instead of buying it at $93000 (1 brother, and dads wife were ok with this price), I would have to buy it at todays market value of $215000 (other 2 brothers are demanding it be sold at). I dont know about you, but thats not an amount of money I just have laying around.

So I had to rent a U-Haul, $260, to go up there and get all the family heirlooms out of the attic. Since I also was staying there, I had to bring food and water, thats another $240.

My wife, and my kids.. me too, are quite torn up about the whole thing. My wife has been going there with me since we met back in 1999. My oldest son 5.5 years old, who loves the cabin, has been going there since he was born. He doesnt understand that this will be his last time going there... My other son has also been going there since he was born, but at the age of 1 year, 10 months, he will never remember it. And now, me and my wife will only remember the heartache my brothers, 2 of them specifically, caused.

Once this estate is closed, I will be sending them both letters, stating something like, your family drama has caused drama and undue stress on my family. To protect them from you, moving forward, you are no longer part of my family.

RIP dad.. This is where he is buried.. About 20 feet out the front door of the cabin.. Unmarked grave.
20230730_112619.jpg

And my last picture of the cabin as we were leaving...
20230730_112600.jpg

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Family dynamics can be the best or as in your case, the worst.
As for your brothers, I can understand, as I haven’t spoken/seen my sister in 5 years and our family life hasn’t suffered a bit.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
All I can say is I'm glad I'm an only child. That is truly sad.

My mom still owned my childhood home and was renting it out. When she passed, I was able to get the renter out move my eldest son in and we're doing a "rent to own" type of thing at the lower city evaluation value rather than the market value. It needs some renos and repairs that I will be doing with the "rent" money.

Maybe you could come to some sort of similar arrangement? Technically, you own 1/5th of it. At the current market price, that's $43,000. That leaves $172,000 for the other 4. Maybe come to an agreement to a monthly amount you would pay each until they're paid off. It would be like a mortgage without the interest. It could be written into a contract. The only hiccup would be if one or more wants all the money now.

Just throwing an idea out there. Hate to see things like this happen.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Each grumpy idgit gets $40k.
The two reasonable ones get $19k.

I've seen similar happen elsewhere and it just sucks.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
So sorry @TollKeeper

Funny how money brings the worst out in families.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
One of those who wants the money now... He is about to go thru a divorce, "i gotta think about my retirement"... Well you shouldnt have married a gold digger bitch.

The other that wants the money now... Its not even his doing, he hired a lawyer to monitor the estate proceedings.. And that lawyer is demanding the high value, NOW.

My wife and I both sat down, and went thru every finance we had, to find a way. The only way we could get it to work, cash out all my stocks, which right now would be a loss (in fees or capital gains taxes), and cash out part of my 401k and pay fines for doing so, which would affect us in the many years down the road.

Yea it could be done.. And I want to do it. But in doing so, I would be affecting all our lives, for the rest of our lives, to make it happen. The math just dont work.

Could do a HELOC, but I am barely making margins meet currently (hence why I bought a salvage Saturn). That would only make is 3 times as bad.

I could also take out a personal loan, and even with my 820 credit score, I was still at a 12% interest because of the amount and type of loan, and the fed raising interest last week.

As much as I hate to say it.. The cabin is a want, not a need. And in our current a-political world, I have to worry about needs first. And believe you me... that pains to say.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Well gents, the family and I broke away for the night last minute. Got a spot at a local regional park about 50km away. Hooked up the bumper pull and found out my wife got us a nice spot with privacy and plenty of room for the trailer a tent. It's only a 15 Amp service but she runs the fridge and ac just fine. If we stayed home, we would just end up working until we were sick in this heat. Now the kids and their friends can hit the lake.

It was a quick turnaround so a great shakedown of stuff we brought and will bring for next time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris Moore

Members Online