Tablets

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I need help deciding which tablet to get...I'm looking for something under $400...refurbished is perfectly fine by me as well.

I'm looking for a decent android OS tablet, one I can use for work, play and of course normal day to day internet surfing. No 3G, just wifi. I would need one with 16GB or 32GB 2 camera's for picture taking and I would love it to have a webcam so I can video chat with friends and family who are out of state. I'd also like it to have Navigation, and SD card slot. I have been going back and forth between the Galaxy Tab 7" and the Motorola Xoom 10". I'd prefer a smaller screen so I can easily mount it in the voy for navi, but i'm sure a 10" would work just as well, and I would eventually get used to the large size.

I have been leaning more towards the xoom than the tab, but would LOVE more feedback from members who use those 2 tablets, and of course I am open to other suggestions as well.

Also, IF I were to get one with 3G capabilities do I HAVE to have a data plan in order to use internet? I was thinking of doing the 3G tablet but I don't want to pay for a data plan right off. Anyone here have a data plan with theirs? If so how does that work?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i have a 7" galaxy tab. it is the perfect size for the car, but for using around the house or whatever I can't recommend it. i have a 10" asus tf700, its awesome. i wouldn't recommend the xoom just because by todays standards it is a weak processor. look for a tegra 3 chip. and also pay attention to screen resolution, lower resolution just looks bad.

what phone carrier do you use? with verizon you can add a tablet for $10 and it shared data with your phone. or just figure out how to use wireless hotspot on your phone. i have tmobile right now its $40 but my phone is only $80 so its actually the same price if i was on verizon.
but no you don't need to have a sim card in it you can just use wifi

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
jimmyjam said:
i have a 7" galaxy tab. it is the perfect size for the car, but for using around the house or whatever I can't recommend it. i have a 10" asus tf700, its awesome. i wouldn't recommend the xoom just because by todays standards it is a weak processor. look for a tegra 3 chip. and also pay attention to screen resolution, lower resolution just looks bad.

what phone carrier do you use? with verizon you can add a tablet for $10 and it shared data with your phone. or just figure out how to use wireless hotspot on your phone. i have tmobile right now its $40 but my phone is only $80 so its actually the same price if i was on verizon.
but no you don't need to have a sim card in it you can just use wifi

I have Boost mobile which is a non contract phone. They don't offer a data plan for other devices. I could get the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 which is the newer version of the 7".

I'm not worried about a sim card, my phone doesn't even have one, I was asking about the data plan that allows me to have my own internet hotspot without having to connect to someone else's wireless connection, which is why you see some tablets that say 3G+Verizon etc....

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:
I have Boost mobile which is a non contract phone. They don't offer a data plan for other devices. I could get the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 which is the newer version of the 7".

I'm not worried about a sim card, my phone doesn't even have one, I was asking about the data plan that allows me to have my own internet hotspot without having to connect to someone else's wireless connection, which is why you see some tablets that say 3G+Verizon etc....

The best/cheapest option is to have a bluetooth capable phone that allows you to use bluetooth to tether the phone and tablet together. This is IF you are out of wifi range which to me is rare.

For instance I use my Droid Razr while on the 4G network to tether to my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 while camping. I hardly ever use my tablet outside my home so having 4G capable tablet was not needed.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
CaptainXL said:
The best/cheapest option is to have a bluetooth capable phone that allows you to use bluetooth to tether the phone and tablet together. This is IF you are out of wifi range which to me is rare.

For instance I use my Droid Razr while on the 4G network to tether to my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 while camping. I hardly ever use my tablet outside my home so having 4G capable tablet was not needed.

I have a bluetooth capable phone, it's an android....but I don't think I can tether to it unfortunately. I have tried tethering it to my PC and it was a no go. I will be upgrading my phone in a few months to a phone with 4G so I will have a hotspot and may not even need to get a 4G capable tablet. I just checked with my phone provider and it will be much cheaper to go this route than with verizon/at&t data plans on a tablet. Then I can just use my phone for GPS/Navi

So I guess now I just need to figure out which tablet I want for what I am looking for. There are just so many to choose from, and I'm having a difficult time. I'm not all that tech savvy so I really have no clue what specs are what besides the obvious, like SD slot or camera. Processor speeds etc...is all a different language for me.

Anyone have the Asus Eee pad transformer prime tablet? It looks and sounds pretty decent, I can get a nice deal on a new one.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:
I have a bluetooth capable phone, it's an android....but I don't think I can tether to it unfortunately. I have tried tethering it to my PC and it was a no go. I will be upgrading my phone in a few months to a phone with 4G so I will have a hotspot and may not even need to get a 4G capable tablet. I just checked with my phone provider and it will be much cheaper to go this route than with verizon/at&t data plans on a tablet. Then I can just use my phone for GPS/Navi

So I guess now I just need to figure out which tablet I want for what I am looking for. There are just so many to choose from, and I'm having a difficult time. I'm not all that tech savvy so I really have no clue what specs are what besides the obvious, like SD slot or camera. Processor speeds etc...is all a different language for me.

Anyone have the Asus Eee pad transformer prime tablet? It looks and sounds pretty decent, I can get a nice deal on a new one.

The Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 beats the Asus transformer on many tests and its updated more frequently. That's why I got it. My cousin uses the transformer but I got my tab 2 for $360 back in July. Should be the same or cheaper now.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
CaptainXL said:
The Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 beats the Asus transformer on many tests and its updated more frequently. That's why I got it. My cousin uses the transformer but I got my tab 2 for $360 back in July. Should be the same or cheaper now.

Thanks Captain! I'm going to go with the Samsung Galaxy 7.0 plus. I think it's perfect for what I'm looking for, the size is right, it has 2 camera's for video chatting with family, GPS etc... The reviews were great, and for the price I can get it at, I can't complain!

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
CaptainXL said:
The Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 beats the Asus transformer on many tests and its updated more frequently.
i have no idea where you get your information from...
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 review -- Engadget
When ASUS, for instance, set out to create a cheaper alternative to the Transformer Prime, it compromised slightly on battery life and settled for a thicker, heavier design, but the Transformer Pad TF300 is nonetheless similar where it counts: like its big brother, it has an IPS display, quad-core Tegra 3 chip and an excellent camera. The 10-inch Galaxy Tab 2 actually costs more than the TF300, even though it packs last year's specs and a hopelessly crippled shooter. If you have $400 to spend, you could buy an iPad 2 or the new Transformer and enjoy comparable (if not longer) battery life, along with smoother graphics and an improved imaging experience. Assuming you were going to ignore that camera anyway, you can't exactly go wrong with the 10.1, but you could also do a lot better.

the bottom line is do your homework

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
jimmyjam said:
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 review -- Engadget

the bottom line is do your homework

The only issue with that Jimmy is that none of those come in the 7" screen. All of the really nice tablets are bigger, and I would really like to stick with a smaller version. If the transformer came in a 7" screen I wouldn't have an issue putting $400.00 into it....I have the money, but finding a tablet that is of the higher quality and has everything I need is going to be near impossible.

I have yet to find a 7" tablet that has all the quality specs you have mentioned. Not saying they aren't out there, I'm just having a hard time looking because I really don't know what is out there besides the Ipad, and I know I don't want one of those.

BaDAppLe

Jun 28, 2012
I have a Ipad2 ,and a iPhone 5. You can get a differant browser for the IPad from the App Store that will force Igadgets to use full sites rather than mobile ones. You can find used iPads for decent deals on Craigslist that still have some of the Apple one year warranty left. You also can purchase a warranty from Square Trade for used electronics. Search for coupon codes first though as many are to be found.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
jimmyjam said:

...do your homework

Haha. Sorry Jimmy. Respectfully, I have done my homework.

Have used both and the Samsung is better IMHO. My wife blindly bought a tablet for me and had to choose between the two. When I got it home I said to myself "oh crap I didn't get the Asus". But after viewing many independant reviews on youtube showing head to heads...the Samsung has better build quality, color and sound categories and just eeks ahead of the Asus. Speed isn't everything when you need battery life.

Now, don't misinterpret my professional opinion for being biased. Alright, I like Samsung products. They are lately on the ball when it comes to great products and are way ahead in the market as far as electronics go. I have a Samsung Plasma HDTV (a rebranded Best Buy Insignia), BluRay player and assorted other products of their's. But in this case I really wanted the Asus to be the better product. Samsung products just seem to be well built overall.

Now if you are talking about speed ALONE then I would have to conceed and hand over the trophy to the Asus. I guess it's all relative to what's important to each individual.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
The iPad mini is out if you want also Tami, its really nice if you want apple and cheaper and smaller screen also. Something to consider also. It is $329 starting which isn't too bad at all and I had the iPad 3 and it was awesome so I personally would say iPad but others have different taste. Galaxy tab isn't bad either

http://www.apple.com/

Let the apple hating begin

BaDAppLe said:
I have a Ipad2 ,and a iPhone 5. You can get a differant browser for the IPad from the App Store that will force Igadgets to use full sites rather than mobile ones. You can find used iPads for decent deals on Craigslist that still have some of the Apple one year warranty left. You also can purchase a warranty from Square Trade for used electronics. Search for coupon codes first though as many are to be found.

I never had my iPad when I had it connect to a mobile version when looking in the browser. There is also an app that allows flash too so if you want that then thats your kind of app. I think it was call terra

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
The iPad mini is out if you want also Tami, its really nice if you want apple and cheaper and smaller screen also. Something to consider also. It is $329 starting which isn't too bad at all and I had the iPad 3 and it was awesome so I personally would say iPad but others have different taste. Galaxy tab isn't bad either

Apple

Let the apple hating begin

Sam, I really want to try and stay away from all apple products, their just not my cup of tea. Plus the iPad mini is over priced for what it offers especially with competing tablets. I'm going to go with the Galaxy tab 7.0 plus :raspberry:

And i'm not hatin...just personal preference is all.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Voymom said:
Sam, I really want to try and stay away from all apple products, their just not my cup of tea. Plus the iPad mini is over priced for what it offers especially with competing tablets. I'm going to go with the Galaxy tab 7.0 plus :raspberry:

And i'm not hatin...just personal preference is all.

It's no problem, just throwing that option out there. Everyone has there own taste. Galaxy tab is not a bad tablet! But just one thing to mention, if your looking for a tablet to kind of replace the comp then not the best idea. It does not do as much as a comp can do but if you want a simple web browser/toy/play games and things like that extra then its perfect.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
The iPad mini is out if you want also Tami, its really nice if you want apple and cheaper and smaller screen also. Something to consider also. It is $329 starting which isn't too bad at all and I had the iPad 3 and it was awesome so I personally would say iPad but others have different taste.

I never had my iPad when I had it connect to a mobile version when looking in the browser. There is also an app that allows flash too so if you want that then thats your kind of app. I think it was call terra

Just be aware that the WiFi only model does not have GPS. So that means no turn by turn directions. So if you were wanting to use it for that you would need to spend at least $460 for the cellular mini.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
CaptainXL said:

Just be aware that the WiFi only model does not have GPS. So that means no turn by turn directions. So if you were wanting to use it for that you would need to spend at least $460 for the mini.

Oh they didn't put there turn by turn on there? hmm didn't know that. I personally just use my phone for that it works just fine for when I need it. $460 for a mini is too much at that point and on top of that the monthly fee for it.

plus apples turn by turn on ios6 right now isn't good, they need to fix it till I start using it. I used 3rd party apps for navs which work just the same and better

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Does anyone have Nexus 7??.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Harpo said:
Does anyone have Nexus 7??.

I looked into the Nexus 7 pretty heavily, and I hear they are very nice tablets. Just didn't have all the features I needed it to have, such as a camera on the front and back.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:
... Just didn't have all the features I needed it to have...

Tami what features do you need? Otherwise we are going to be here all day going back and forth. What are your priorities? Price? Brand Loyalty? Screen size? Weight...etc? Need to start laying it all out.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Tami what features do you need? Otherwise we are going to be here all day going back and forth. What are your priorities? Price? Brand Loyalty? Screen size? Weight...etc? Need to start laying it all out.

Let's see....

It has to have a 7" screen cannot be any bigger.
Android OS either Ice cream sandwich or Honeycomb
GPS enabled with or without using a wifi connection(or have access to a GPS app I can use without wifi)
front and back camera's so I can do video chatting with my family, and take pictures with it as well.
I'd love a 5mp+ rear camera but no lower than a 3mp rear camera
I'd like the tablet to be just under or just at a 1lb weight
5+ hours battery life
No 3G or 4G
Built in microSD slot
USB port
16GB or 32GB
Price range is no more than $350-$400 but would like to buy it factory refurbished with a 1-2yr warranty.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus. But haven't committed to just that one yet. I absolutely do not want an iPad lol

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
I like my Moto Xoom

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I have a GT 7+ and love it, especially for the price. Got mine on special for ~$220 and everyone who uses it loves it.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
NewfieEnvoy said:
I have a GT 7+ and love it, especially for the price. Got mine on special for ~$220 and everyone who uses it loves it.

Thanks Newfie! I am pretty sure that is the tablet I am going to go with. I have been shopping around for a week now, but I won't order it for another 2-3 weeks. I want to make sure I really like it before I buy it lol. I plan on getting a factory refurbished one for about $200. The new price at $350 isn't bad at all either, but I want to save a little cash so I can get a few things for the truck as well :biggrin:

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Voymom, you must be looking at the 10" for $350 new. The 7" is $250 and toward $200 if on special. Pretty much the same device just depends on the form factor you like.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
NewfieEnvoy said:
Voymom, you must be looking at the 10" for $350 new. The 7" is $250 and toward $200 if on special. Pretty much the same device just depends on the form factor you like.

Nope I was looking at the 7+ as I don't want the 10" screen. It is $349.99 on Samsung's website. I can't find a new one for that cheap around here, even at best buy. I would LOVE a brand new one for $250!!

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
At this point in time, I would hold out for a deal on black friday. Newegg.com runs specials for the whole month of november.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
rcam81 said:
At this point in time, I would hold out for a deal on black friday. Newegg.com runs specials for the whole month of november.

It won't be until November when I actually go to buy one anyways. I can hold out for a deal I think lol

I just checked newegg and they don't even carry them.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Tami. You will be hard pressed to find a 1 year warranty on a refurb. 2 or 3 months is customary.

Not really...They are all over Ebay....Granted it's just a geeksquad warranty, but it beats not having a warranty at all.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Wow, I haven't looked at the prices since I bought mine but I obviously got a deal. I picked up my GT7+ the week before the GT2-7 came out and I was pissed until I seen the specs and I liked the 7+ better.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I have an Acer Iconia A500, thing is freakin sweet. Recently got ICS but found out it will be left out of the JB update. It also has the same specs as an Ipad3 for half the cost and its over 2 years old. Amazing how long it takes Apple to play catch up.

I like the Samsung ones, but if I was to buy another one an Asus would be my choice.

Techhead

Dec 12, 2012
My kid gave me an HP TouchPad with WebOS. She says I can install Android on it.

Anyone know if the Android ODB Torque Phone App would install and run on a tablet?

I'd install Android on the HP just to run Torque.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Techhead said:
My kid gave me an HP TouchPad with WebOS. She says I can install Android on it.

Anyone know if the Android ODB Torque Phone App would install and run on a tablet?

I'd install Android on the HP just to run Torque.

Yes Torque runs on Android OS.

Techhead

Dec 12, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Yes Torque runs on Android OS.

So, whether it's a phone or tablet, Torque will run fine?
If so, that is incentive for me to load Android onto the HP. :wootwoot:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Techhead said:

Can that even be done? I have a PC and haven't been able to figure it out.

I also have an android phone and tablet so I wouldn't really need to anyways. Just curious I suppose.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Techhead said:

It should run fine. I have Torque Pro on both my Android phone and tablet. Both run Android OS 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich.

Here is a link to an article describing how to load Android onto an HP.

HP TouchPad gets Android 4.1 Jelly Bean | ZDNet

The incentive for many is to repurpose their HP tablets so that Android compatible apps will run on it.

If the time and effort isn't worth it to learn and do this then it might be more worthwhile to sell the HP and get an Android tablet. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 refurbs can be had for around $135 at Walmart online. That is if there are any left (popular this holiday season). I managed to get one a month ago early for my 3 year old son.

Voymom said:
I have a PC and haven't been able to figure it out.

Not sure why you would want to install Android OS on a PC as its a mobile operating system but I found this in case your interested.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/run-android-on-a-pc-yes-you-can-1080397

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
CaptainXL said:
It should run fine. I have Torque Pro on both my Android phone and tablet. Both run Android OS 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich.

Here is a link to an article describing how to load Android onto an HP.

HP TouchPad gets Android 4.1 Jelly Bean | ZDNet

The incentive for many is to repurpose their HP tablets so that Android compatible apps will run on it.

If the time and effort isn't worth it to learn and do this then it might be more worthwhile to sell the HP and get an Android tablet. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 refurbs can be had for around $135 at Walmart online. That is if there are any left (popular this holiday season). I managed to get one a month ago early for my 3 year old son.

Not sure why you would want to install Android OS on a PC as its a mobile operating system but I found this in case your interested.

Run Android on a PC? Yes you can! | News | TechRadar

I don't want to...I was just curious to know if it could be done or not. I didn't think it could, but apparently I was wrong.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tcwest38

Members Online