Symptoms of broken rotor of the pump (4L60E)

santon

Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Israel
What are the symptoms of the broken rotor of the transmission pump? My TB has the slight knocking noise and this noise is definitely comes from the transmission. I am planning on removing the transmission and replacing the torque converter. Should I also prepare to replacing a pump? Maybe the rotor is broken and this give me that slight knocking noise? The truck rides good, no problems with the gear shifting.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A broken pump would result is a non-functioning transmission. A failing one may allow the clutches to slip with lower pressure. Not sure what would cause a knocking noise from the transmission. Have you checked the flexplate? They sometimes crack and cause a type of knocking noise.

Reactions: mrrsm

santon

Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Israel
This truck has the knocking sound since the day I bought it. Since then I replaced several things. Here's the chronological order of the events:
1) About 1 year ago, I replaced the flexplate and the torque converter, hoping that it will help. Not sure whether it helped indeed - the transmission lost the 3 and 4 gears about one week after the replacement. I did not had enough time to notice any changes... I think the mechanic that did the job did not put enough ATF and I did not check that...
2) I bough another used transmission and paid another mechanic to install it. The "new" transmission came with its torque converter and I told the mechanic to put that transmission together with its torque converter I am not sure what he did but the same noise remained after the transmission swap. Also, there was a problem with the converter lockup after the swap - the shudder; the problem was solved by deleting the PWM by HPTuner. Since then, the transmission did about 30k km, shifts OK. However, the knocking noise is annoying. It is not that loud; sometimes I can barely hear it. The noise becomes louder when the engine is getting hot.
3) I was not sure whether the knock is coming from the transmission or from the engine, and did a test: I disconnected the torque converter from the flexplate. The noise has gone. This confirms that the noise is coming from the transmission.
It is a second transmission, another flexplate, supposed to be another torque converter but the noise is still there and I don't have any reasonable explanation why. I think the second mechanic swapped the transmissions but left the old torque converter. That converter probably has some problem and makes that noise. So, I am almost ready to remove the transmission and replace the torque converter. I have a new converter - the same that I bought from eBay store (Cyclone Transmissions) and asked the mechanic to put on the truck together with a new flexplate. I think this converter is good. The question is whether I need to replace the pump. basically, I have several options:
1) to drive the truck as is until the transmission dies;
2) try to replace the torque converter and the pump;
3) put another used transmission;
4) pay to the shop to do an overhaul of the transmission.
So, I am not sure what to do. The budget is somewhat tight so I don't want to rebuilt the transmission.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This On Topic Thread is worth Reading:

Should you pull the 4L60E Transmission Fluid Pan off and find any of THESE Flat Aluminum *Sliding Plates or Vanes" laying down in the bottom of the pan... it will be the confirmation of a Failed Fluid Pump:

s-l500-3258712248.jpgs-l1600.jpgRotary-Vane-Pump-1024x539-3666445411.jpg20140924_192210.jpg

Attachments

• th-1187143956.jpeg
    th-1187143956.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: santon

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Have a look at this video as he shows a complete teardown of one of these transmissions and their issues, including the oil pump. Go to his channel and check out his other videos on this tranny. It might give you an idea for what to look for.

Reactions: santon

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online