Starter gear not engaging

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Having an issue with the starter on my 06 Tb, 4.2L. Replaced the starter approx. 3 years ago with a reman unit when the factory unit went out. Fast forward to today, I went to start the thing using the tip start. The starter spins but the bendix gear, if that's the correct term would not engage. The motor would spin for its predetermined time and then stop. I gave the starter an old love tap as I have had to do with many old vehicles to free up a stuck unit.

Aside from buying a new starter, is the solenoid serviceable and what would be recommended to grease the bendix drive?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If the bendix is shot, it has to be replaced. Don't know if it's available separately though. I would just replace the complete starter just to be sure. If possible, get an ACDelco reman.

Reactions: smt 59

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Starter motor repair kits are available. Check Advance Auto.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrrsm

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
There is a good chance that your bendix spring is just weak and not allowing it to engage.

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
So I ripped the unit out today. I cleaned all the connections at first, which were not all that bad. Made no difference in the operation. So once the unit was out I found that the bendix was free and easily moved in and out. The solenoid was not seized either. I removed the solenoid and it had no signs on the exterior of burning out. The spring did have significant force still.

I put it all back in and no change. I will rip it out again tomorrow to bench test it with the battery and bypass the ignition. If I cannot find a rebuild kit I will see if I can get a u pick one as I got a few sources on them.

Above all else I will treat this like a learning exercise in diagnosing issues with starters.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Could it just be the solenoid then? I would think if the bendix was getting worn it would grind when starting like my parents escalade was.

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I am guessing it is only the solenoid. I replaced the original starter over 3 years ago with a Napa reman unit. I am not surprised it went but there was no warning. Worked one day and not the next. The original starter began a slow death, slower and slower cranking.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
EDIT:

Brian... While the Starter Parts and Pricing list below is for the 2002-2005 4.2L Trailblazer... The Correct One for your specific 2006 Vehicle is this one:

PG260H ($35.47)

https://alternatorstarterrebuildkits.com/

@Mooseman... I was in the middle of this edit when you posted (Gotta give me a chance to rectify my mistakes Brother... I grabbed The Alternator Video and Product Data in Error... Its All Good Now...) ;>)

This is the Parts Image, Product Description and Pricing for the same unit shown in the video:

02-05TBSTARTERKIT.jpg

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Although the link to the kits is relevant, the video and kit shown are not since he has an issue with his starter.

smt 59

Just an FYI, when you buy a reman unit most only replace what was broken, everything else is old, I know for a fact that if you buy from GM all guts are brand new. This goes for starters and alternators.

BrianF

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Thanks for the info guys! I have a line on a used OEM starter that I am picking up in a few days. There is no core so I will keep the one I have and am thinking of going a rebuild route as a learning experience and having a backup starter in the shed is a good thing!

MRRSM thanks for that link, I will be taking a look at that kit in the upcoming days!

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online