Need confirmation on a Diff Seal

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
To start, I was out for a ride and heard a noise coming from the front driver's side of my 2003 Envoy Xl 4WD (127k). I thought it was the brakes, but I was wrong.
Took the wheel off and saw CV Grease everywhere! The boot was cracked and allowing grease to spew out, and I figured it was doing it for quite some time. Figured since I heard it making a constant squeak, the gears inside were shot. Bought a new CV Shaft and a new Timken Wheel Hub from autozone and installed them.

After installing everything, I topped off the front diff with 75w90 full synthetic. Only needed a tiny bit.

I now noticed that there's a minor leak coming from the drivers side CV shaft -at the diff. I read and will follow an article I found on offroadTB.com when replacing the left (driver's side) seal.

My question is:
Is #19257296 the correct part number for the CV Shaft seal that I'll need?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I haven't read anything about them changing the number, and I see many threads here and on ORTB referencing that number. I think you're good to go. Just buy it at a dealer - aftermarket stores are not reliably providing ones that fit using that number for a cross-reference.

1) Also inspect the CV shaft and the seal for evidence of what caused the leak.

2) At 127K, I'm surprised you didn't change (not just top off) the diff oil. Assume you intend to do it right this time.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
I actually changed all of the fluids last year, within the past 3,000 miles. But I will put new 75w90 in it when I drain the fluid to replace the seal.

Well, the new autozone shaft is installed already, and I literally threw out the old one out this morning. Junker came and took it when he saw it sitting on the top of my trashcan.

I'll take a ride to the dealership today. Thank you!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chadla11

Members Online