Narrowing down an issue

dropmech

Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
Florida
So my 05 ext lt 4wd shut down while at a stop light. The dash read "low oil pressure" as it was shutting down. The oil level is good and It started right back up with no issues after that. Anything I should be looking at specifically? I know that the ignition switches go bad and the spark plug could can also be an issue. However, I'm not showing a check engine light or any codes. Have any of you had any experience with this type of random issue?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If no noises while running, it's usually the pressure switch located just above the oil filter that's defective. Common issue.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
If your AC was on when it stalled it’s a common GM issue....
There’s quite a few threads about this.

No ones ever figured out why these trucks do this... same with some other GM vehicles...

For whatever reason once in awhile they’ll stall at a light... oil pressure warning comes on as its stalling due to low RPM...

My Rainier does it from time to time usually when it’s real hot out but not always.... so did my wife’s 04 Malibu...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What he said. I misread it as "the oil pressure was low and it shutdown". @Tiggerr is correct. the 4.2 especially on this platform is particularly sensitive to that is the throttle body is dirty.

How to clean your throttle body

Reactions: Eric04 and dropmech

SpeedUp

Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
Thanks for the link on cleaning the TB. sucks that photobucket stuff is all blocked without a subscription

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: snoozer

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
What he said. I misread it as "the oil pressure was low and it shutdown". @Tiggerr is correct. the 4.2 especially on this platform is particularly sensitive to that is the throttle body is dirty.

How to clean your throttle body

Even with a squeaky clean TB some still occasionally stall at idle in gear with AC on...mine included... for no apparent reason I’ve ever seen....

Cleaning the TB is always a good place to start with these trucks however....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online