Lowering 2004 Envoy XL SLT 5.3 L V8 4x4

Droid

Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
I have a 2004 Envoy XL SLT 5.3 L V8 4x4

im looking at lowering it, however i have some questions. I have the rear air suspension and it is working great, i am wondering if I lower the front will it auto level out lower as well? I have never done any suspension work and am not sure on what to get. I see a lot of you guys are on TBs and not sure how different it is for a Voy. Any and all help is appreciated, and yes, i know its a 4X4 but I don't wheel it or anything, maybe one or two times a year i might kick it on to keep it lubed and maybe go to the snow, so i want it lowered. thanks in advance for any and all help/opinions.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I am sure that those who lowered their Envoy ditched the oem rear air for something else as folks at stock height have done so.

Many reports of leaking oem rear air bags.

When member Fr34kout sees this he'll definitely respond :yes:. In the meantime checkout his ride.

willbill92

Feb 15, 2014
I would go to the dealer and ask them if the air suspension works like that. IMO I would just replace the bags with shocks if you want to lower it.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Ditch. The. Stock. Bags.

Must have been a nice day out and everyone was out :rotfl:

This is not TV. :no:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Pretty sure guests bolster the view count, could be a bunch of lurkers wandering around :rotfl: I see only 12 registered users (including the OP) who have been in this thread, so that may be it.

I'd say ditch the stock bags, even if you're looking at doing a bag setup. The stock bags are enough (sometimes barely) to do what the GM engineers designed them to do, but that's not saying a whole ton. Late model SUVs were and are taking a trend toward being the new "soccer mom" mobile, and it doesn't seem like any SUV is equipped quite as ruggedly as they used to be :no:

Having aftermarket bags of known good quality would allow you to do a bag setup (if you wanted to go this way instead of springs), and I'm betting it's not all that hard to find bags that are much more rugged than the ones stuffed under there from the factory.

paulcmartin

May 13, 2013
I have aftermarket air bags in the rear, I am also contemplating lowering with a belltech stage 2 lowering kit. It is my understanding that I would need to remove the bags in order to install the kit. However, I am sure that there is a way to keep the bags if you want to. But those bags are set up to work with stock springs and the shorter springs will be different height and firmness.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ultra...good

Members Online

No members online now.