Is it possible to put a manual transmission in TB

santon

Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Israel
It it possible to put a manual transmission in TB with the 4200 engine? I have seen some videos on Youtube of TB SS with the manual tranmsmission. However, I did not find too much information. I have read that the NV4500 could be mated to the 4200 engine and it seems that the bellhousing adapter is available here. Is there a place that sells all of the required components - the transmission, the adapters, the pedals, the clutch, etc? Or maybe there is some guide, or a manual for the swap ? I know that there is also an issue of PCM but I believe that the PCM problems could be solved with the HPTuners.
I am searching for this info for years. It would be great if there was some sort of a kit for the swap. Is there a TB with the swapped manual transmission? Or maybe this swap is not possible at al?

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Since no GMT360 ever came with a manual transmission, it will be 100% fabrication for just about everything except the bellhousing and flywheel, as those from an Atlas 5 cylinder Colorado are supposed to work. If you have a 4x4, it would be even worse unless you convert it to 2wd. Even the TB SS never came with a manual.

One person that may have some info on adapting a manual transmission is Nivlac57 on YouTube as he has installed this engine in different vehicles however not sure if he ever did one. Another possible avenue for info is at the old site:

Reactions: mrrsm and santon

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
One person did a manual swap on a TB SS years ago. Here's a video of him doing a test run of it. From what I recall reading on each one and the comment section, it took a lot of work. Between getting a custom driveshaft fabricated to fit the length of the manual, reinforcing the firewall (to keep it from flexing when pressing on the clutch), and some tuning with the PCM/BCM.

Manual swaps don't seem very common with this platform, probably even rarer then the numerous threads of doing I6 to V8 conversions. If you had a TB SS, then there's a ton of info for doing a swap on that. Like Mooseman said, you're pretty much having to create parts that don't exist for this....at least the most crucial components.

Reactions: Mooseman and santon

Realism

Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
Since no GMT360 ever came with a manual transmission, it will be 100% fabrication for just about everything except the bellhousing and flywheel, as those from an Atlas 5 cylinder Colorado are supposed to work. If you have a 4x4, it would be even worse unless you convert it to 2wd. Even the TB SS never came with a manual.

One person that may have some info on adapting a manual transmission is Nivlac57 on YouTube as he has installed this engine in different vehicles however not sure if he ever did one. Another possible avenue for info is at the old site:

ahhh, the old wayward site. Met a lot of you guys for the first time over there before it became a toxic waste dump of old oil and rancid fluid

Realism

Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
It it possible to put a manual transmission in TB with the 4200 engine? I have seen some videos on Youtube of TB SS with the manual tranmsmission. However, I did not find too much information. I have read that the NV4500 could be mated to the 4200 engine and it seems that the bellhousing adapter is available here. Is there a place that sells all of the required components - the transmission, the adapters, the pedals, the clutch, etc? Or maybe there is some guide, or a manual for the swap ? I know that there is also an issue of PCM but I believe that the PCM problems could be solved with the HPTuners.
I am searching for this info for years. It would be great if there was some sort of a kit for the swap. Is there a TB with the swapped manual transmission? Or maybe this swap is not possible at al?
Honestly mate, I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice. The 360 platform is a powerhouse as it is. It is recognized as one of the best engines and the best transmissions that GM ever built. I have pulled Lineman service vehicles out of ice and mud in winter with mine, and I run a 4.2L vortec I6.

santon

Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Israel
Honestly mate, I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice. The 360 platform is a powerhouse as it is. It is recognized as one of the best engines and the best transmissions that GM ever built. I have pulled Lineman service vehicles out of ice and mud in winter with mine, and I run a 4.2L vortec I6.
Well, swapping the transmission for the manual is an interesting project (IMHO). Also, I thought that I can solve the potential problems with my old 4L60E.

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online