How big can I go? Camper question

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I'm looking at getting a camper this summer and was wondering how big you guys think I'd be able to go. I have a 04 ext with the I6. I'd be willing to add a transmission cooler and a weight distribution hitch. I was looking at a 22 foot coachman, but I'm not sure if i could pull that or not. Thanks for the help.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
What's the weight of the trailer? Have you looked in the Owners Manual for the tow rating of your truck? Are you in the habit of towing in mountains or the flats?

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I checked with the gentlemen selling it, it is 3530# according to the title. A distrobution hitch would allow me to get it balanced properly, right?

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Yes, a WD hitch would allow the proper balance assuming it is set up correctly. As far as the true weight, you could see if he would mind going to a truck stop to get it weighed, with you paying for it. Or look up that model online and see what the manufacturer says it weighs. If you are confident in the weight on the title, use it. You would think that number would be correct (or close to it), but then it again, it a gov't agency!

I towed a 30' Jayco with mine, albeit for only 8 or 9 miles, and the WD hitch helped keep everything level and in control.

I would also consider adding an electric brake controller. Tekonsha Prodigy's are great and wire into our trucks easily.

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
As for terrain, I live in Michigan, it can get a little hilly, but no mountains.

mnypitTBEXT

Jan 29, 2012
dcmtnbkr said:
I checked with the gentlemen selling it, it is 3530# according to the title. A distrobution hitch would allow me to get it balanced properly, right?

All depends on your rear gearing and how much it weighs total with gear and all. A 4x4 EXT with a 6 cylinder and 342s has a 5000lb towing capacity, 373s has 5500lb towing and 6000 with 410s. GCWR is 10000, 10500 and 11000 respectively. So your trailer, your vehicle, and all your gear should be below the GCWR limit. As long as you are careful packing, and dont overload either the trailer or vehicle, you should be fine. I tow with mine, but like C-Ya, I have a 5.3l, so my towing capacity is much higher. I tow a boat that weighs in at about 5300 to 5600lbs depending on gear, fuel, etc. I am far below my towing capacity of over 7k, but it still struggles a bit and sways on the highway on a breezy day. The weight distribution hitch will help a lot, especially with sway. I think you will be fine.

htseat2000

Jan 25, 2013
personally i think a 22ft camper might be pushing it a little. i pulled a 5x8ft uhaul trailer to massachusetts and back a couple weeks ago. spent more time in passing gear then od on the way back. 7.5mpg. grant it the wind was a little rough, but still. i have pulled a 18' enclosed car trailer with my 2006 trailblazer i use to have and the wind just played with the trailblazer. maybe it might be a little different with my 2003 envoy xl with the I6, but i do notice a little less hp in the 2003 that the 2006 i use to have. weight distribution hitch would definetly help you though and definetly on the trailber brake controller. those things are easy to hook up on our vehicles since the pigtail is under the driver side kick plate.

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Thanks so much for your help everyone. I'm going to go look at this thing this weekend.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I towed a 4200 pound trailer (24 foot hybrid travel trailer) for about a year but while within my tow rating I felt I was asking everything from the Voy. That is why we bought the Silverado with the 5.3L V8, much better tow vehicle.

Strongly recommend getting a weight distribution hitch (I have a Reese Strait-Line system).

Absolutely get a brake controller. No trailer that size can be safely stopped without using its brakes in addition to the tow vehicle.

bigytwotone

Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
if it is 3530 LB's you will be fine i tow a 2013 Palomino Solaire 201SS and its dry weight is 3826 lb. i live in the mountains and my TB dose awesome with the I6 and 3:42 would like to change the ratio for more towing but it dose great.View attachment 26250

Attachments

• new trailer.jpg
    new trailer.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 125

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
I live in Michigan also and have a 30' rated at 4900lbs I have a non ext I6 with 3.42 gears never had a problem only things I needed was the weight distribution hitch I got from Harbor Freight and the Prodigy brake controller I got out of a truck from work. I towed from Howell to Gaylord at 65 mph with no problems if you know the locations I am talking about I hope this helps...

Attachments

• IMG_1872.JPG
    IMG_1872.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1870.JPG
    IMG_1870.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 105

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieH