Hardtrailz Build Thread 2006 Trailblazer

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Pics of roof rack from yesterday. Still needs painted and wired up, but had to help my buddy swap a fuel pump on his Ranger and ran out of time. Plus I want to see how this affects MPG and if it makes any noise before spending too much time on it. Also need to change a couple bolts and mounts. Wanted the lights and a solid roof rack but with a lower profile. Plus I had all the materials on hand and have zero cost (minus time) in trying this out.

IMG_20130409_195003_522_zps66bded0a.jpg

IMG_20130409_185006_279_zps998861f1.jpg

IMG_20130409_184953_698_zps40393d7d.jpg

Reactions: CaptainKD

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Some pics cause hoping for some changes in the next couple weeks

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Looks great kyle, can you get some close ups of the roof rack please?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Will when I take it off to properly paint it. I did get the right light mounts so hopefully this weekend I can button it up.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Darkrider_LS said:
Looks great kyle, can you get some close ups of the roof rack please?

Took the rack off and painted it up. It is really simple. ATV ramp. Thin aluminum diamond plate bolted on and then holes drilled in it for the lights to bolt to. The ramp is bolted right to a couple thule crossbars, but most hardware stores have aluminum square tubing that would have worked as well. I use 3/8 bolts through the crossbars to mount to the factory rails. I have washers that slide right in the factory track and the bolt head goes down and the threads up. Tightens up nicely and is simple. Some people make plates to slid in the track, but the washers have been fine for years. I use some scrap rubber between the rails and crossbar to prevent any sliding around too.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Few cosmetic changes and I dont think I ever took a pic of the led strips in the wheelwells. Actually got a shot of them glowing.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Removed the hood stripe and plasti-dip--That stuff blows to remove. Got some brand new rims and tires.

Went to some Black Rhino wheels in 17x9 +12 offset with 35 12.50 17 Fierce Attitude MT.

Treadwright in front of new setup. Neither have weight on them.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Loving this truck. I need me some mountains!

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
SkyJacker Nitro rear shocks installed.

Radflo coilovers ordered for the front.

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Replaced the failed Japan springs and spacers with Skyjacker 25 springs. Rear is 1 inch higher than rear now.
New Springs
skyjacker.jpg

Do you ride with spacers with these on there?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
No. Springs only.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Snapped some pictures yesterday at our property after deer hunting. Couple seemed pretty decent to me.

With my buddies JK

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Radflo's In...

Spare Tire mounted n balanced

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
They are coilovers.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Coilovers and tires proved themselves at the badlands...even in the snow

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011

Bought it in January or February of 2009.
2006 LS 4x4

Suspension Modifications:
Radflo Coilover's up front
SkyJacker CR25 Tahoe lift springs and Nitro Shock out back
suicidedoors.com Adjustable Panhard Bar
1/2 inch longer rear tubular control arms
Rear swaybar delete
Front swaybar quicker disco's

Exterior Modifications:
MarkMC 3 inch Body Lift
Cut fender wells
Cut Front Fenders
MDB Fab front and rear bumpers
Custom Ramp Roof rack on Thule bars
Hella lights on rack
PIAA Lights
Decals--they add HP
TrailGear Rock rails--THANKS BARTONMD for the install
Oil Pan Skidplate MDB
Radiator SkidplateMDB
Transfer Case Skid MDB

Engine Modifications:
Green Re-usable Air Filter
Gutted Air Box
Hooker Aero-chamber Muffler and aluminized piping w 3.5 in tip
PCMforless tune
Scanguage for monitoring

Interior Modifications:
Lights- LED
Stereo-Cd, subs
Cobra 75 WX CB
GM Custom Fit Black Leather Seat Covers
Husky liners
Divider Wall
Maglite n mount

Recovery Equipment:
Bag of straps
emergency supplies, first aid, food, water
tools- Shovel, hatchet, large knife
hi-lift
shackles
Not recovery, but for safety there is always a firearm

Electrical Mods:
Just the lights mentioned above

Drivetrain Mods:
4.10 Gears
SS front diff
Rebuilt Disconnect
14 bolt rear diff
Lockright locker
Shortened rear steel driveshaft
1.5 Inch 6x5.5 Adaptors 14mm studs

Roller Mods:
35x12.50x17 Fierce Attitude MT
17x9 Black Rhino Spinreels

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Nice! What is your Maglite and mount setup? Just a Magcharger or something more exotic? I have modded a couple 3D Maglites for work.

Jared

Steeda

Jan 16, 2014
That is absolutely bad ass. kinda makes me want to ditch the lowered setup.

But then i'd just be a Mall cruiser anyway- CT sucks for wheeling.

Nice job- you miss alot of the details when just glancing at pictures- nice writeup!

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
jsheahawk said:
Nice! What is your Maglite and mount setup? Just a Magcharger or something more exotic? I have modded a couple 3D Maglites for work.

Jared

I wish I had something better, but it is simply the Mag lite clamps in front of rear seat 6 D mag. I keep several lights in there though. AAA mag in dr door. Cheap LED in center console and another in Pass door. Magnet mount led and another 2D mag and a rechargable spotlight in the rear.

I would like something rechargable and might try to figure something out with the cheap cree lights I picked up. The LI batteries should make mounting to center console near footwell pretty easy and keep one handy. Really need some nicer weather though.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
HARDTRAILZ said:
I wish I had something better, but it is simply the Mag lite clamps in front of rear seat 6 D mag. I keep several lights in there though. AAA mag in dr door. Cheap LED in center console and another in Pass door. Magnet mount led and another 2D mag and a rechargable spotlight in the rear.

I would like something rechargable and might try to figure something out with the cheap cree lights I picked up. The LI batteries should make mounting to center console near footwell pretty easy and keep one handy. Really need some nicer weather though.

Like this? I like that.

I found this Instructable, and I ordered a charger to try it out. I have two work lights that I have SSC P7 emitters (D-bin) in. They're direct driven by three 11,000mAh rechargable Ni-MH D-cells. I have an aspheric lens on one, and it's super bright and has great, adjustable throw. When one dies, I just swap the head to put the aspheric lens on the back up. It turns out that 50mm aspheric lenses (or fresnel lenses) are hard to find!

Jared

tsmith1156

Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
HARDTRAILZ said:

Bought it in January or February of 2009.
2006 LS 4x4

Suspension Modifications:
Radflo Coilover's up front
SkyJacker CR25 Tahoe lift springs and Nitro Shock out back
suicidedoors.com Adjustable Panhard Bar
1/2 inch longer rear tubular control arms
Rear swaybar delete
Front swaybar quicker disco's

Exterior Modifications:
MarkMC 3 inch Body Lift
Cut fender wells
Cut Front Fenders
MDB Fab front and rear bumpers
Custom Ramp Roof rack on Thule bars
Hella lights on rack
PIAA Lights
Decals--they add HP
TrailGear Rock rails--THANKS BARTONMD for the install
Oil Pan Skidplate MDB
Radiator SkidplateMDB
Transfer Case Skid MDB

Engine Modifications:
Green Re-usable Air Filter
Gutted Air Box
Hooker Aero-chamber Muffler and aluminized piping w 3.5 in tip
PCMforless tune
Scanguage for monitoring

Interior Modifications:
Lights- LED
Stereo-Cd, subs
Cobra 75 WX CB
GM Custom Fit Black Leather Seat Covers
Husky liners
Divider Wall
Maglite n mount

Recovery Equipment:
Bag of straps
emergency supplies, first aid, food, water
tools- Shovel, hatchet, large knife
hi-lift
shackles
Not recovery, but for safety there is always a firearm

Electrical Mods:
Just the lights mentioned above

Drivetrain Mods:
4.10 Gears
SS front diff
Rebuilt Disconnect
14 bolt rear diff
Lockright locker
Shortened rear steel driveshaft
1.5 Inch 6x5.5 Adaptors 14mm studs

Roller Mods:
35x12.50x17 Fierce Attitude MT
17x9 Black Rhino Spinreels

Mine is my daily driver and I want to do some wheeling couple times a month hopefully, do you think the body lift would be worth it? would you do yours again?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
In a heartbeat. I daily drove mine with the body lift for years. Keeps center of gravity low and if I had to choose between body or suspension...I would be real tempted to do only body lift due to how our lifts affect suspension. I have owned a multitude of body lifted vehicles without any issues.

tsmith1156

Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
HARDTRAILZ said:
In a heartbeat. I daily drove mine with the body lift for years. Keeps center of gravity low and if I had to choose between body or suspension...I would be real tempted to do only body lift due to how our lifts affect suspension. I have owned a multitude of body lifted vehicles without any issues.

Thank you! And how long would you say it takes to install? My friend has a car lift so I wouldn't think more than 5 hours.

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:

I've had the same experience. Just keep any body lift within reason -- 3" or less -- and DO NOT try to use the old redneck way with hockey pucks.

That being said, body lift only gains one clearance for larger tires which bring with them 2 other considerations, ability to turn those larger tires (gearing) and ability to keep those larger tires anchored to the earth (articulation). Body lift can help with tire clearance, but not gearing or articulation, so there are more mods needed for a true off-road capable vehicle.

I like that Hardtrailz has now gotten over the fact that the body on his TB had to stay intact. Most inexpensive way to tire clearance is cutting sheet metal!

High Voltage

Nov 18, 2011
glfredrick said:
I like that Hardtrailz has now gotten over the fact that the body on his TB had to stay intact. Most inexpensive way to tire clearance is cutting sheet metal!

? I believe he was one of the first ones to cut his fenders for clearance!

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
High Voltage said:

I know... But it always takes an innovator to get over cutting sheet metal before everyone else will follow. He had to get to the place where he recognzied that fact -- something other off-roaders have known about their rigs forever...

High Voltage

Nov 18, 2011
He's definitely an innovator! :biggrin:
I know my rig would be half of what it is now without him!

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
glfredrick said:
I've had the same experience. Just keep any body lift within reason -- 3" or less -- and DO NOT try to use the old redneck way with hockey pucks.

That being said, body lift only gains one clearance for larger tires which bring with them 2 other considerations, ability to turn those larger tires (gearing) and ability to keep those larger tires anchored to the earth (articulation). Body lift can help with tire clearance, but not gearing or articulation, so there are more mods needed for a true off-road capable vehicle.

Suspension lifting this platform limits front articulation, but can greatly increase rear. That is why a body lift may be the best option for this platform if you can only choose or only need one. Keeps the COG lower, increases ground clearance with the larger tires, and retains full up and down travel. I need both for the 35s and the Radflos help the front be as good as it can be.

Gearing is really not a major concern as we can not run really big tires and stock gearing is ok with the good amount of power these trucks have. While not ideal, gearing considerations are not as needed as they would be with a wussy jeep or ranger motor with similar sized tires. My stock 3.73 and 33s did really well overall.

High Voltage said:

Roadie did before me, but he has had his truck longer than I have. Benn a few of us pushing the envelope over the years.

glfredrick said:
I know... But it always takes an innovator to get over cutting sheet metal before everyone else will follow. He had to get to the place where he recognzied that fact -- something other off-roaders have known about their rigs forever...

I recognized that nearly 20 years ago when I cut my first fenders and bumpers for clearance. I guess you could actually say that I have been at that place for a long time. With this truck I did the first metal cuts with a 6 inch hacksaw in a hotel parking lot 600 miles from home. I really wanted larger tires:biggrin:

I would cut more sheet metal if it would benefit anything.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online