SOLVED! Does the speaker wiring go to the amp location even if I don't have an amp?

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
Hey people, More questions for you.

My 2004 Envoy XUV has the factory non-bose stereo with 6 CD changer. Someone upgraded all the speakers before I got it and it sounds really good but I'm going to change it our for a modern unit with BT and a backup cam.

Does anyone know if the speaker wiring goes to the factory amp location in the RR and then to the doors even though there's no amp there? (Yet)

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If you don't have an amp already, the wiring from the harness in the dash goes directly to the doors for the speakers. I did the same sort of mod in my 05EXT some years ago. Dropped in a BT head unit, hung a 5 channel amp in the left rear quarter, ran RCAs back to it, and a color coded bundle of wires back to the front to connect to the door harness connection.

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
I ordered the head unit, adapter kit (to keep the warnings, chimes, and RAP), and backup cam last night from Crutchfield.

I only buy car audio from Crutchfield. On a scale of 1 to 10 their customer support is a 20. They always know every tiny little thing you need and how to install it.

I picked a cheaper unit but it checks every box, including an SD card slot. I only use BT for longer drives and I like having my entire music library in the car.

I'm going to just see how it sounds on it's own first. If I need more power I have an old Acoustic Research car amp that I used to power my speaker box when I was much younger. (This was before the term "boom box". You could not buy such things back then. You had to build them)

I ran it bridged back then but it will run 4x40W RMS. (True RMS, none of this peak BS they peddle today) The vehicle already has kickers all around, they should be comfy with the power.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online