Clicking in rear driver side wheel

Niklaus

Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Hello all,

I've been having an issue where I would get an annoying clicking sound that would basically only happen when the steering wheel was turned in either direction, moving very slowly. It is pretty loud but does not really affect performance or lock the wheel. Its a gear clicking kind of sound and gets faster as the wheel gets faster. I for the life of me thought it had something to do with my driver side front axle (thought thats where the sound came from).

I had someone take a look at it and it did turn out that it was actually coming from the rear, and pretty much the rear driver side wheel. We were both confused.

I guess the only real reasoning could be the rear diff/axle going bad? I have a G80 diff and am going to change the fluid within the next few days @ 130k (yes long overdue, I know).
I have been driving like this for months but the clicking never got worse.

Also, the guy at the shop said there's too much play between the driveshaft/differential where the driveshaft was moving but did not turn the wheels until it rotated about 1/2 of an inch, probably less.

I guess this has to be axle related then?

P.S. G80 is working, saw it engage today

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Definitely need to open up the diff and take a look.
"only happen when the steering wheel was turned" makes me think you may have broken/damaged spider gear :eek:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chadla11

Members Online