Can you reset transmission "memory" with ODB Fusion?

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
When I got my truck's computer flashed, the transmission was great. He configured it so that it would downshift WAY easier, like as soon as you gave it some gas. It made the truck feel so much peppier without having to FLOOR it to get it to downshift.

But over time, the transmission learned my mellow ways and kind of slowly reverted back to it's old behavior.
I know with the right tools, you can reset the "learning" memory for the transmission (I know I have the terminology all wrong but you know what I'm trying to say! I hope.). My question is, can I do this reset myself, with my ODB Fusion app and odb adapter? I looked through the app and didn't see anything, but it's also not the highest quality or best organized app in the world.

Also I may have asked this question already but I looked through my history and couldn't find it :/

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
My question is, can I do this reset myself, with my ODB Fusion app and odb adapter?

In a word, No. You will not find an app that will do this.

The information needed to do this would have to be licensed from GM. $$$$

That said, for the early models that use a P10 or P12 I think I can do it, but my own 2002 does not appear to have Transmission Adaptive learning. My values are always zero, all the time.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Bummer. Can a mechanic do it with a standard scan tool easily? Like without doing a full blown reprogram?

A tech 2 or equivalent should be able to do it. Internally it is a simple matter of zeroing out the values learned. No 'flashing' required.

For my 2005 5.3 Yukon the tech 2 menu item is grouped with transmission output controls and uses a "request device controls" service $AE message.

Generally it is not advised to reset the TAP values unless internal work has been done that would change the affected systems.

Realism

Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
A tech 2 or equivalent should be able to do it. Internally it is a simple matter of zeroing out the values learned. No 'flashing' required.

For my 2005 5.3 Yukon the tech 2 menu item is grouped with transmission output controls and uses a "request device controls" service $AE message.

Generally it is not advised to reset the TAP values unless internal work has been done that would change the affected systems.
Wasnt there a go a while in here or on the original Tvoy website that could flash the ECM. I want to say I think he charged like $90 at the time.
I know I looked into it when I was going to swap the EV fan clutch for a straight thermal on my 04

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Wasnt there a go a while in here or on the original Tvoy website that could flash the ECM. I want to say I think he charged like $90 at the time.
I know I looked into it when I was going to swap the EV fan clutch for a straight thermal on my 04
He did say that he had the PCM programmed, likely by @limequat for the $90 you're quoting.

Reactions: l008com

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online