Broken lift gate strut

shepherd92683

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
After a very cold winter and a whole lot of bass, I had the bolt to my lift gate strut break that attaches to the lift gate. No big deal, $5 piece... Problem lies in that it is stripped out and can't thread in. Any ideas what to do to remedy this? Thanks

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Weld in a patch plate with the thread you need. Might be a job for a body shop if you don't have the skills to weld to sheet metal. Too much force involved to use Bondo or JB Weld or anything but real welding techniques. And the cost of it breaking off might be somebody's hand or head or neck. Glad you weren't hurt when this one let go.

Reactions: jsheahawk

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Mine had a nut on the backside that I was able to tighten up...#30 in the picture

lift-gate-hardware-part-1-ts1715301.png

shepherd92683

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
The_Roadie said:
Weld in a patch plate with the thread you need. Might be a job for a body shop if you don't have the skills to weld to sheet metal. Too much force involved to use Bondo or JB Weld or anything but real welding techniques. And the cost of it breaking off might be somebody's hand or head or neck. Glad you weren't hurt when this one let go.
I figured that was the net result. i don't even want to know how much that small weld will cost.

shepherd92683

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
coolasice said:
Mine had a nut on the backside that I was able to tighten up...

lift-gate-hardware-part-1-ts1715301.png
Originally I thought is was #32 listed above and I bought that part to no avail. In fact, I was excited that maybe thats all it was. At least its new now I suppose...

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
shepherd92683 said:
Originally I thought is was #32 listed above and I bought that part to no avail. In fact, I was excited that maybe thats all it was. At least its new now I suppose...
You need #30

shepherd92683

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
The issue is the threads that 32 screws into.There is a screw hole in the first pic I posted. I checked the assembly of the other strut to verify I wasn't missing anything.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Mine has no threads in the gate, the stud goes straight through and the nut is on the other side

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Get a threaded reducer bushing, tap the hole to the next size up, and screw it in. If you go by a machine shop they will probably do it for like $20

Edit: probably the easiest solution would be a nutsert. You should be able to find one with the correct threads. Do you have a fastenal anywhere around there?

Good luck :smile:

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
OK. My last comment to this thread. YOU NEED THE NUT THAT GOES ON THE BACK OF THE STUD. THAT IS THE ONLY THING THAT HOLDS IT IN PLACE.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
coolasice said:
OK. My last comment to this thread. YOU NEED THE NUT THAT GOES ON THE BACK OF THE STUD. THAT IS THE ONLY THING THAT HOLDS IT IN PLACE.
Just pop the trim panels off the inside to get to that spot, right?

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
coolasice said:
ok, another comment...open glass hatch, remove two torks screws recessed into rubber isolators/stops (#34) of black plastic trim (#35), remove trim piece/s. Nut will be clearly visible attached to strut mounting stud.
Damn, that is so easy a caveman can do it!!

papilgeephd

Jan 9, 2014
I'll be doing this too. My strut came off yesterday when my wife opened the hatch. Rather scary.

Post-edit: INSANELY easy to do, even by yourself if you have strong shoulders. I did notice that that strut seemed a bit... stiff, for lack of a better way to describe it. At any rate, it's reattached.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YSB

Members Online