NEED HELP Belt Tensioner?

AC75TB07

Original poster
Aug 17, 2019
Canada
Hi,

My belt tensioner is squeaking and squealing. Called my local parts place and they said they have the "full tensioner assembly" and "just the pulley"...How do you know what you need? It's not like the belt is falling off or anything, but the noise is horrible...

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Usually... if it squeels all the time it's the pully, if it squeeks when you rev it (and the arm moves) you need to replace everything.

If you have a press you can just buy the bearing and re-use the pulley. OEM pulleys tend to be metal and the aftermarket ones NAPA wants to sell you are plastic.

AC75TB07

Original poster
Aug 17, 2019
Canada
Usually... if it squeels all the time it's the pully, if it squeeks when you rev it (and the arm moves) you need to replace everything.

If you have a press you can just buy the bearing and re-use the pulley. OEM pulleys tend to be metal and the aftermarket ones NAPA wants to sell you are plastic.
Mine definitely makes a racket when you rev the engine. Like, a really annoying racket!. Pretty low key when just at idle. Guess that sounds like the full assembly... Typical, it costs more!

Brian K

Apr 5, 2012
If one is squealing - it is worn out and probably best to replace both the tensioner and pulley since they both have the same mileage on them (probably). I changed the bearings only too. As mentioned, it is pretty easy to do and much cheaper. Take them off and get the bearing number - something like 6303 2RS. The RS is for Rubber Seal. If you don't change it, the bearing could seize up and burn the serpentine belt off and leave you stranded.

AC75TB07

Original poster
Aug 17, 2019
Canada
I did replace the whole thing, but it STILL makes noise. I don't know if its faulty or what, but it definitely needs more attention. I really don't think it's coming from anywhere else... I gotta go back in with the truck next week so I'll get it checked again... 🙄

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Must be a different pulley. Take the belt back off and spin the different ones by hand. When I thought my tensioner was making noise and I replaced it and the idler pulley, the alternator was actually the one making the racket.

Reactions: Mooseman

AC75TB07

Original poster
Aug 17, 2019
Canada
Can you change the pulley on the alternator or do you have to charge the whole thing?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's the whole thing unfortunately unless you can take it apart and replace the bearings individually. Brushes could also cause the noise.

AC75TB07

Original poster
Aug 17, 2019
Canada
Ugh! I really don't think it's that TBH but still not comforting... The noise seems further down. I had new water pump installed a whicle back, I hope it's not that...

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
I had a persistent squeal on a Blazer a few years back. Replaced the tensioner and idlers without improvement. Rebuilt the alternator with new bearings - no improvement.

Finally I looked at the belt from the side of the car instead of the front and I could see that my power steering pulley wasn't quite in line with everything else. I have the tool to remove/replace it so I pulled it out by about 1/8" and the squeal went away.

Don't know if that will help but adjusting pulleys is free.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Like I said before you replace anything else just spin everything by hand and see if anything feels amiss. Could simply be you changed the wrong pulley and the idler is the one that is shot. (man I hope I have my engines right, I think the 4.2L has a second idler... I've worked on too many engine accessory belt drives).

AC75TB07

Original poster
Aug 17, 2019
Canada
Probably is, the squeak is still there occasionally after I installed the new tensioner pulley, so something is STILL going on.

I have no use for wooden nickels though. Do you have any wooden gold bars?

Realism

Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
Probably is, the squeak is still there occasionally after I installed the new tensioner pulley, so something is STILL going on.

I have no use for wooden nickels though. Do you have any wooden gold bars?
Yeah, sounds a lot like idler. they usually go about the same time as your tensioner

Reactions: AC75TB07

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online