Bass in the EXT / XL??

CdnGMan

Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
For those of you out there with the EXT / XL versions, what do you do for some bottom end in your ride?
Considering that space is at a premium, what alternatives are there out there?
I'm aware that one could build a box to occupy the space, but as my DD, that's simply not in the cards - it needs to be removable as well... :confused:

Any suggestions?

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
CdnGMan said:
Any suggestions?
Infinity Basslink. Adds just enough, has preamp and speaker level inputs and can be made to be easily removed.
(200w internal amp)

BASSLINK.jpg

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
harmless said:
Stealth box with banana clips. Clean, hidden and easily removable. :undecided:

68564d1195411604-jl-audio-stealthbox-subwoofer-1996-2002-4runner-nice-2131.jpg

This is nice and clean!! It is like nothing is even there which is better!

DARKASS04EXT

Nov 21, 2011
that stealth box doesnt fit in an EXT, thats made for the SWB TB. I have a ported enclosure that holds 2 10" subs, its as wide as the cargo area but low enough that the cover still fits over it (if i ever used it). I remove mine all the time, but with it being so wide it is a PITA. Kinda of akward n kinda heavy..

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Pair of 12" Fosgates from Crutchfield's clearance pile. They threw in a free Q logic box that fits nicely behind the 3rd row seat. :thumbsup:

100_0130.jpg

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Nice looking speakers Carlton, I think I saw them on the other site.

But, I was wondering if there was any vibration from the shelf they're sitting on?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
RayVoy said:
Nice looking speakers Carlton, I think I saw them on the other site.

But, I was wondering if there was any vibration from the shelf they're sitting on?

:thankyou: Ray. The shelf is pretty solid, the pegs on the side that fit into the different slots back there are covered in rubber, so it gives them a tight fit. I do have a slight rattle at certain freqencies in the lift gate though. Need to get around to laying some sound deadener at some point. :yes:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
I know what your saying about the shelf (my old '05 was the same), as I looked at your pic, I guess I could see the shelf moving up and down; but probably no noise.

Hey, did you know you can add legs to that shelf and use it as a table?
The legs are included in the North Face package.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Hmm, now that you mention it, that shelf probably does have some vertical movement due to the way I take speed bumps :biggrin:

I just wish my box was a couple inches shorter (and wider) then it would fit underneath the shelf which would be perfect. Although since I relocated my amp to behind the driver's side panel where the jack used to be, when I need the extra room I can just slide the box forward onto the back of the 3rd row seats and not have to lift the box at all. (my back appreciates this) Previously with the amp screwed to the back of the seat, I always had to store things around it, which was a pain in the ass on beach trips. :hopeless:

04WiredUp.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I like the hidden amp.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I like the hidden amp.
Very nice.

And Carlton, we appreciate you taking that apart just to show us :biggrin::biggrin:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
For the record, stealth boxes (or any box for that matter) can be custom made to fit in any space...

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
HARDTRAILZ said:
I like the hidden amp.

A mod out of necessity. I think you might know a thing or two about that :wink:

RayVoy said:
Very nice.

And Carlton, we appreciate you taking that apart just to show us :biggrin::biggrin:

Anytime!! Besides I need some excuses to post more. Kyle left me in the dust (or mud) I have some catching up to do around here!

CdnGMan

Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
All very nice suggestions... and while I like the Infinity Basslink, I wonder if you can you install it and still maintain the usefulness of the shelf?
With it being my DD, I need to have the ability to use the shelf AND to remove the box if the need arises...

Based on what I'm seeing, I may be forced to go the basstube route - like back in tha day... :wootwoot:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
You can always just get an amped bazooka, then you don't have to worry about disconnecting the amp when the speaker isn't there.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
CdnGMan said:
True, and I kinda like that angle too... it's just a shame that I can't utilize the 2 12" Sony subs I have sitting in a BassWorx box - I really want to keep the shelf! :hissyfit:

What are the dimensions on the box? How much stuff do you put on top of the shelf? A couple of times, I've put the shelf on top of my box if I had little stuff to go back there. Since my box tapers off some, the non carpeted part of the shelf sits on top of it nicely. :yes:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
You've already forgotten my setup? My box is easily yanked out and put aside when need be. Nanner clips rock. :celebrate:

But seriously though, a "stealth" type box - which could be removed might be your best route...

CdnGMan

Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
harmless said:
You've already forgotten my setup? My box is easily yanked out and put aside when need be. Nanner clips rock. :celebrate:

No, I haven't forgotten it... and actually, I'm leaning towards that way - don't forget I don't have that much real estate back there like yours does... :nono:

harmless said:
But seriously though, a "stealth" type box - which could be removed might be your best route...

Trust me, in my area, a stealth box would be MUCH more preferred...
I just got "limo dark" tint installed over the weekend, so that should help deter people from peeking inside - I hope... :shhh:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
CdnGMan said:
Trust me, in my area, a stealth box would be MUCH more preferred...
I just got "limo dark" tint installed over the weekend, so that should help deter people from peeking inside - I hope... :shhh:

That's why you need a small but effective sub & box. We can find you something that works, if not, we shall BUILD IT!!! *insert maniacle madman laughter here*

You install the tint yourself? I wanna see!!

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
CdnGMan said:
and while I like the Infinity Basslink, I wonder if you can you install it and still maintain the usefulness of the shelf?

P1010004.jpg

P1010007.jpg

CdnGMan

Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
harmless said:
That's why you need a small but effective sub & box. We can find you something that works, if not, we shall BUILD IT!!! *insert maniacle madman laughter here*

That is most excellent... as I said, ideally, I'd love to be able to use the 12" subs I currently have, but I'm thinking that I may have to "drop" down to 10" due to space limitations...

harmless said:
You install the tint yourself? I wanna see!!

Install it myself? Heck no! I brought it to my buddy who installed the headunit (over at Tint King) and they did it - it looks quite sharp I think...
I'll clean Canyonaro all up and take a few shots for you to see... eventually... :raspberry:

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
CdnGMan said:
I think I would only need one too... but I could swear that the hard shelf I have sits lower than your vinyl cover... I could be wrong tho...
I'm sure one would be fine...I just wanted two. :biggrin:
Keep in mind, I have a SWB truck. I just posted pics so you'd have an idea. The speaker is held to the base with two screws. Quite easy to remove.

CdnGMan said:
I wonder where I'd be able to find one of those up here in Leaf Land... :undecided:
Here's an Ebay seller that ships to Canada...
INFINITY BASSLINK 10" AMPLIFIED SUBWOOFER SYSTEM *NEW* | eBay

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
harmless said:
:rotfl: You're a little far for me to mod your ride my friend... :raspberry:

Nah man, my bass situation is just fine. Now Greg's on the other hand... :wooot:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
CdnGMan said:
Don't worry my friend... I will save the install of the HID's and the eyebrows and some other tasks for you...
It'll be my pleasure actually. :satan:

:squint: Knowing my list keeps getting longer does not make it easier to swallow. :tongue:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
harmless said:
:squint: Knowing my list keeps getting longer does not make it easier to swallow. :tongue:

That just means you need to get on the ball, and get some mods done to keep the list short! :raspberry:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Blckshdw said:
That just means you need to get on the ball, and get some mods done to keep the list short! :raspberry:

:raspberry: Two things missing for that...

1 - His truck. :tongue:
2 - A proper garage to work in. :redface:

:biggrin:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
CdnGMan said:
Personally, I'd rather have a longer list for him to do - that way he stays out of trouble... :wink:

:rotfl: You could sit on me 24/7 and I would STILL find a way to cause some shit... :raspberry:

CdnGMan said:
Don't you worry, come the spring, we shall rectify that. :celebrate:
I want to make sure that I have all the supplies needed before I trek out your way...

:coffee: You gonna need a trailer? I can find you a trailer.... :biggrin:

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
harmless said:
:rotfl: You could sit on me 24/7 and I would STILL find a way to cause some shit... :raspberry:

I believe this. I have a feeling that your wife has the house child proofed ( and its not for you kids :tongue:)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

DARKASS04EXT

Nov 21, 2011
a little bigger than you want but here is mine. when i go shopping etc, i just put the stuff on top,very rarely if ever use the shelf but its made to fit with it. amp is located in storage area in the floor.

Attachments

• sub1.jpg
    sub1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 8
  • sub2.jpg
    sub2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 9

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Evan.wyatt