2006 Impala LT Heat & Blend Door Lubrication

DeltaAngler

Original poster
Jul 15, 2023
Texas
I am replacing the Actuators for the Heat & Blend Doors and the doors seem to take some effort to move them. Wondering if they are lubricated at the factory (appears to have some type of lube on the shaft) and if so what type of lubricant is used. Don't want to install new actuators without lubing or cleaning up the door shafts to insure they are moving freely.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would think it's probably white lithium grease. You might be able to lube one end just under the actuator but the other may not be accessible unless you remove the whole HVAC from the dash and take it apart.

Reactions: mrrsm

DeltaAngler

Original poster
Jul 15, 2023
Texas
Thanks for the reply Mooseman,
I called one of the dealerships and the tech said they don't lubricate them. How ever I bought the car brand new and it appears to have some type of lubricate on it (might be lithium grease slightly yellow from age). I will probably see if I can get to it better by removing the controls and radio units.

I read in my Chilton manual that if the temp control unit has to be replaced, it has to be reset using a scan tool. If I don't disconnect the wiring from the temp control unit and can just move it out of the way I'm hoping it will not need to be reset. Do you know if disconnecting the wiring would cause any need to reset the temp controls? I already disabled Airbag System as per procedure, to avoid any incidental activation of the air bag system.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Beware using "Too Much of a Good Thing" when applying the Grease on the Gear Teeth. Most of the time, the Failures occur when the Larger Gear Unit cracks in its outer orbit and that crack propagates all the way to the Center Axle area.

Then...when the un-attached portion gets lifted and released by the Smaller Gear on the Tiny DC Motor... it makes that familiar *Snapping* Action ...flexing and returning to its intended round shape, over and over.

If too much Grease is introduced...especially on the units that have to lay flat...the Heat of the Sun can melt the Grease and allow it to flow and get all over the electrical contact surfaces. This Video provides an excellent look at the Copper Contact Plates and how to Clean them up:

...and from Brian at Briansmobile1:

These Problems never happened... until GM decided to switch the Gear Molds from the original "Pot Metal" Tin-Lino-Type castings... over to "Weight-Saving" Plastic or Nylon Gears.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I read in my Chilton manual that if the temp control unit has to be replaced, it has to be reset using a scan tool. If I don't disconnect the wiring from the temp control unit and can just move it out of the way I'm hoping it will not need to be reset. Do you know if disconnecting the wiring would cause any need to reset the temp controls? I already disabled Airbag System as per procedure, to avoid any incidental activation of the air bag system.
On the GMT360 platform, it can be done either by pulling the HVAC-B fuse or disconnecting the battery. Might be the same for the Impala or it may need a scan tool. The fuse/battery method may be an unofficial method even for the GMT360. Either way, it has t be done for the HVAC module to learn the range of the new actuators.

Reactions: mrrsm

DeltaAngler

Original poster
Jul 15, 2023
Texas
Guys,
I am not talking about greasing the actuators, but the shafts of the vent doors themselves.
Also... I know the actuators have to be re-set, my question was about re-setting the HVAC Control unit. The manual says if the control unit is replaced it has to be re-set with a special scan tool. I'm just wondering if disconnecting the wiring from the control unit, will require re-setting it once it is all put back together. The battery has already been disconnected to shut down the airbag system a per procedures.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Those interfaces are usually hinged in such a way as to not require any lubrication due to it attracting and holding Dirt, Leaves and Aging Foam Pieces that can break off the adjacent seals.

However, if you are determined to do this...THIS Video demonstrates a Spray White Lithium Grease Product made by "Blaster" that, with using an Extended, After-Market Red Plastic Spray Tube, might allow you the chance to minimize tearing a lot of the Fascia and Housings apart to get to those hinges... and pin-point where you want the Lubricant to wind up:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If replacing just the actuators, I don't think the HVAC module needs to be reset except to relearn the actuators. But then, we're a bunch of truck guys (hence GMT Nation) so might just be farting in the wind with your Impala. Might be the same, maybe not.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online