2006 Buick 3.6L thermostat housing bolt advisory

StoobW

Original poster
I have read of a bolt advisory for my 2006 Buick 3.6 thermostat hsg installation. Some, or all of the 3 bolts need thread sealant as the bolt holes used in the block are 'wet'. Which ones are they, and what is the correct sealant to use. I have Ultra Grey which I use for rebuilding diesels but not sure if it is acceptable for this engine.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Follow along at around 6:00 into THIS 3.6L Engine Thermostat R&R Video for the Cautions involved with those Fasteners and the Replacement Thermostat Kit the VOP (Video Original Poster) has an included Stick-On Gasket in lieu of using the Silicone Sealer:

The Red Arrow in this Image designates the position of the LONGEST of the Three Fasteners retaining the Thermostat Housing:

GM36LTHERMOSTATBOLTS.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

StoobW

Original poster
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Follow along at around 6:00 into THIS 3.6L Engine Thermostat R&R Video for the Cautions involved with those Fasteners and the Replacement Thermostat Kit the VOP (Video Original Poster) has an included Stick-On Gasket in lieu of using the Silicone Sealer:

The Red Arrow in this Image designates the position of the LONGEST of the Three Fasteners retaining the Thermostat Housing:

View attachment 110484

StoobW

Original poster
Thanks for reply but I've found it's better to be model specific with this repair. Lots of plumbing around the housing is different in your video. I did some more searching and found a decent video,
. It has some great tips for a Lacrosse/ Allure application but it doesn't address that GM bolt advisory. I didn't have time to do this job and got a friend to do it for me. A small leak has appeared but I can't see where it is coming from. He thinks it's a faulty housing but I'm not so sure. I read that one or more bolt holes thread through into a coolant passage so this bolt advisory has me intrigued. Maybe it's those small sleeves on the housing bolts that were left off. I don't know, but I think it's best not to go crazy and tear the whole thing apart when the fix is something very simple to do by just backing off a few fasteners and then making the adjustment. I'll probably talk with someone at GM to get the answer and p/n for those sleeves if they were tossed.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Hindsight is always "20-20" as that Old Adage goes... But in trying to learn from both of these Videos... Unless @m.mcmillen might advise otherwise... I was just wondering if the VOP (Video Original Poster) in your Video might have had an easier time if he had just left that Black Heater Hose Manifold attached to the Thermostat Housing and Removed the Upper Rubber In-Out Hoses along with the Primary Three Bolts ...First.

Then, he might have been able to *snake* that entire assembly out (and later back up in there) of that Engine Well before working with those secondary "Blue" Viton "O" Rings, Gaskets and Small Fasteners... on a Bench-Top Setting. Judging from their *flattened* out condition... it seems just as likely to be a possible point of failure and have a Coolant Leak as Problematic Bolt Seals might be.

If not... at the very least, he may have been able to gain easier access to that Black Heater Hose Manifold and its Fasteners once it was loosened from the Block-Intake Mount and then managed to separate (and later re-attach) the Two Components "In Situ". We have many Members who are always coming up with novel suggestions with "How To "Skin A Cat" so... This is Just My :twocents:

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJack

Members Online