NEED HELP 2002 tb Oil leak spilling in to the belt

rolo95

Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
USA
Guys ,
TB 02, 169k miles RWD
I just replaced the radiator but now :sadcry:

I have a bad oil leak that I can't see where is coming from but looks like from somewhere in the back of the pulleys in the fan area, cause it is dripping on the the belt making it to squeal ,I can see some spill around everywhere and even the alternator is getting spilled so I stopped the truck , I figured out still driving it like that will make a mess and damage the electricals.

I guess some gasket or bearing in the block is leaking.

Now ,setting aside attachment value
And seeing it just from a cost/benefit perspective...
Is it worth to repair it or is better to let it die in the junkyard.

Love my truck and it's my only transportation but I don't want to get in to a bottomless pit money guzzler vehicle if that is the case.

Let me know if I need to snap some pics so to help to see where the leak is coming from.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The likely culprit? The Crankshaft to Timing Cover Seal is failing. Fortunately, the R&R Repair is thoroughly covered in @Ric_Whit 's Epic Thread linked below:

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Although this article was for replacing the timing chain, it does touch on the balancer and seal. 02 had two different versions which are explained.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
FRONTIMINGCOVERSEAL.jpg

Reactions: rolo95

rolo95

Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
USA
What I need to remove to see where the oil come from, and if that is the issue , how hard is to swap it in a scale 1 to 5 , 5 being the hardest, any special tools ?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The Best Thing Around?... Is a Five Part "How To Series" performed on an Oldsmobile Bravada covering each and every step... and making what seems quite difficult to be quite manageable if you keep to the Step By Steps and have The Place, The Time, The Tools and The Patience to do this 5 on a Scale of 1-5 in Difficulty of the GMT360 Repair Jobs:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Small Correction: DO NOT APPLY ANY OIL TO THE SHIM DESCRIBED BELOW

Part 5

Refer to @Ric_Whit 's Thread for the Harmonic Balancer Installation Procedures Linked in Post #2

I would encourage anyone thinking about performing this work to View...Download, Save and Review these Five Videos as often as needed ...and at reduced speed... to learn these procedures.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

rolo95

Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
USA
That is awesome but I don't think I can make it myself. I guess I need to ask for some quotes on this procedure , I will start looking for people who can do it and on word of mouth ratings, there are a lot of engine butchers around here...yiacksss!!

Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

rolo95

Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
USA
Ok, this an update ,I found out that my water pump give out spilling coolant to the back of the block and everywhere, the coolant mixed with the block fresh oil leak and then that mixture drip in to the belt and splash along,so I thought it was a massive oil spill.

So I replaced the water pump as my biggest feat! Never have done that hard of a job (for me of course) I read some posts here and watched some YouTube videos, ok so... When the fan and pump was removed I found the likely place of my oil leak, is not massive but around a quarter of a quart or less every month or 2... Still it is messy.

See the attached pic
Is to the side of the crankshaft ? And the a/c compressor.

Attachments

• PXL_20240128_212449504.jpg
    PXL_20240128_212449504.jpg
    730.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: Blckshdw and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The Oil Leak is likely weeping out around the Crankshaft Oil Seal which is NOT under Direct Oil Pressure, so it would not be a great loss all at once... just constant when the Motor is running... and the power of the centrifugal force of the Harmonic Balancer would serve to cast the oil off uniformly in that frontal Timing Chain Cover area, depending upon things getting in its path.

The amount of accumulated Road Dirt and Dust embedded in the lower part of the block that looks like a "Black Mung Oil Crustacean" would bear out that the leak has probably been ongoing for quite a while. Again... all of the prior suggestions for pulling the Harmonic Balancer and performing the Crankshaft Seal R&R as outlined in the previous Videos are still in order, regardless of who winds up doing this arduous task. The Specialty Tools required can neither be side-stepped nor ignored and having some decent mechanical acumen "Chops" to follow the proper procedures is also in order here.

Reactions: rolo95

rolo95

Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
USA
I saw a video of a water pump replacement and the engine was clean!!! Not like my sludge covered shame :sadcry:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Your successful efforts at the Water Pump Repair are a partial victory and so, something that should not be scoffed at because such work can often encourage many more ambitious efforts. Sometimes, working on an aging GMT360 is bit like 'Eating an Elephant'... It CAN be done... But is Best accomplished when done gradually and by taking Small Bites... One at a Time.

Reactions: Redbeard and rolo95

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
To be sure of where the oil coming from, best is to clean it all off with a pressure washer or brake cleaner and put some UV dye in the oil. Watch for where it's coming from. It could be coming from anywhere looking at that pic, even the valve cover. It could very well be the balancer seal.

Reactions: rolo95 and mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online

No members online now.