'07 Envoy HU removal

NewfieEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Hey Guys,

I picked up a PAC GM12 so I can get an aux port for my iPhone. I've been looking for some instruction on how to get the HU out so I can hook it up and ran into an issue. I the entire arm rest console lose so I can pull it back and dropped the carpet piece at the bottom of the dash . However, I can't get the center console back far enough out of the way to get at the two screws at the bottom of the dash. I pulled the parking brake and shifted back to first gear but can't seem to get it out of the way. I tried to remove the shift knob so I could get the center console out all together but with the screw out of the handle there's some resistance, maybe the stabilitrak switch so I didn't want to pull on it.

Can anyone offer some guidance? I don't want to go at it like a mad man and break something :mad: which is what usually happens.

Cheers,
NewfieEnvoy

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:
Hey Guys,

I picked up a PAC GM12 so I can get an aux port for my iPhone. I've been looking for some instruction on how to get the HU out so I can hook it up and ran into an issue. I the entire arm rest console lose so I can pull it back and dropped the carpet piece at the bottom of the dash . However, I can't get the center console back far enough out of the way to get at the two screws at the bottom of the dash. I pulled the parking brake and shifted back to first gear but can't seem to get it out of the way. I tried to remove the shift knob so I could get the center console out all together but with the screw out of the handle there's some resistance, maybe the stabilitrak switch so I didn't want to pull on it.

Can anyone offer some guidance? I don't want to go at it like a mad man and break something :mad: which is what usually happens.

Cheers,
NewfieEnvoy

your wanting to remove the center console as in your cup holders and all that stuff? If So
Screws In The front Cup-holders
Torx screw on the shifter knob and traction control harness that needs to be un clipped
Screws Underneath the console storage box but first 4 top screws have to be taken out to remove your plastic liner
AC harness that has to be unlocked after you get all the screws out.

That will completely remove the center console but maybe you can just try to get most of the screws since it sounds like you dont need to move it a lot I hope this helps I have never done an envoy HU install.

NewfieEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
your wanting to remove the center console as in your cup holders and all that stuff? If So
Screws In The front Cup-holders
Torx screw on the shifter knob and traction control harness that needs to be un clipped
Screws Underneath the console storage box but first 4 top screws have to be taken out to remove your plastic liner
AC harness that has to be unlocked after you get all the screws out.

That will completely remove the center console but maybe you can just try to get most of the screws since it sounds like you dont need to move it a lot I hope this helps I have never done an envoy HU install.

Thanks for the reply.
So I reached the point where the entire console was lose and I could shift it back a few inches. It just wasn't enough to get it back away from the dash center section to get at the bottom screws. Can you elaborate a little on the shifter knob? I removed the torx screw and could lift up a bit on the handle but where is the harness connector for the traction control, I didn't see one. I assume with that unclipped the knob will lift off. From there I should be able to remove the entire center console.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:
Thanks for the reply.
So I reached the point where the entire console was lose and I could shift it back a few inches. It just wasn't enough to get it back away from the dash center section to get at the bottom screws. Can you elaborate a little on the shifter knob? I removed the torx screw and could lift up a bit on the handle but where is the harness connector for the traction control, I didn't see one. I assume with that unclipped the knob will lift off. From there I should be able to remove the entire center console.

Did you pop off the shift boot/leather trim it will pop off and then reveal a shielded wire running down the side of the shifter bar and its a simple harness. So pry up the raised plastic ring around the shifter and then you should be able to pull that up and remove your harness. If that is still not enough room I'm not sure if you already did but unhook the rear AC harness.

NewfieEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
Did you pop off the shift boot/leather trim it will pop off and then reveal a shielded wire running down the side of the shifter bar and its a simple harness. So pry up the raised plastic ring around the shifter and then you should be able to pull that up and remove your harness.

Oh, that's what I'm miss here. Didn't know that trim piece was removable, thought it might be plastic welded and didn't want to pry on it. I'll sharpen a Popsicle stick and pry away. Actually with that released from the center console I might be able to get the center section back far enough without removing the shift knob.

Thanks for the help.:thumbsup:
NewfieEnvoy

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
This should help a little

[video=youtube_share;_Usdd90B5zo]http://youtu.be/_Usdd90B5zo[/video]

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris Moore

Members Online