06 9-7x wheels and tires

Fishnbob

Original poster
May 14, 2023
OC
Just pick this truck up and in the process of doing the AWD delete. After this I plan on doing the 2/3 lowering kit. I’m old school and I really like the stance of a smaller/ narrower tire wheel up front and wider tire wheel in the rear. Would front 245/50/18 and rear 255/55/18 work?

Jexnell

Nov 6, 2021
Pacific Northwest
The only problem I see is if I remember correctly is the vehicle speed is registered from the front wheels. And if much smaller in size than original than you will have the wrong speed on your guage.
As an example I run 255/55/18 on my Denali. They are 1/2 shorter in overall diameter than stock. This equates to the speedometer saying I am going 3 to 5 mph faster than I actually am going.

Just ran it on a tire size calculator.
245/50/18 are only 27.65 diameter so will throw off your speedometer by a bigger margin than my 29.04 diameter 255/55/18

Reactions: Fishnbob

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Traction control lights will be on
ABS Lights will be on
You will have ABS/Stability control activation until it realizes a problem exists, and sets a code. This will repeat at every engine/key cycle.

Simple answer. Dont do it.

You could have done what you are trying with a 2002-2004 easily.. But 2005+ got safety features.

Fishnbob

Original poster
May 14, 2023
OC
Traction control lights will be on
ABS Lights will be on
You will have ABS/Stability control activation until it realizes a problem exists, and sets a code. This will repeat at every engine/key cycle.

Simple answer. Dont do it.

You could have done what you are trying with a 2002-2004 easily.. But 2005+ got safety features.
I don’t mind if those lights are on but if it poses an issue with passing smog I would

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
It will do more than that. It will make the truck undriveable everyday when you start the truck up, for about 5 miles, until it sets a code, and stops trying to use the system.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
As well as no ABS.

Reactions: Fishnbob

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I feel I need to put this out there...

This is just a disclaimer:

We dont condone the actions your taking for your modifications on your truck. Your are making it so the ABS system wont work, as well as the Stabilitrack, potentially making the vehicle unsafe for you, and the people around you. If you get into a accident, and they can prove willful negligence, by you purposefully doing this modifications, your insurance can throw it back on you, and potential criminal charges filed against you.

Im all for modifications to your truck, but as sue happy as the world has gotten, and everything else... Just food for thought.

Its one thing to have the problems from lack of maintenance (we all have been broke at one point or another), its something else to willfully create the problem. And this is the view the law will have with you.

This is also one of the reasons I have tried my damn best to not own anything newer than 2005/6, depending on vehicle.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithdm

Members Online