Bent Crankshaft

crashwinkie098

Original poster
Nov 22, 2014
Blairsville PA
New to the forum, search tool didn't offer me much help. Maybe someone can point me in a good direction or give me a bit of advice.

My 04 TB lost power and started hesitating on my way home the other night, I knew something major was wrong with it so I pulled off the highway. I had it trailered home and ran the codes. It came up with P0016, P0410, and P0128. I checked the definitions and felt it best to just take it to the shop and have them diagnose it. Come to find out I bent the crankshaft.

My question(s):

Should I just do an engine swap and forget about even attempting, or having someone else attempt, to change out the internal components? I know that it is a pain to rebuild and common sense tells me that the cost and time involved just doesn't make sense to do the rebuild, but what do you guys suggest?

My second question, I am located in Central Wisconsin, Wisconsin Dells, Mauston, New Lisbon area. Anyone in the area know of any reputable shops to do the engine swap or know of a place to get a reliable engine?

Thanks all!!!

BHAMER

Aug 22, 2014
Welcome to the nation first off, I too am in the same area of WI as you. The Madison area. I know here where I work we use LKQ or Shmidts for used parts and have pretty good luck with them. I know lkq offers warranties with their parts as well.

I'm sure someone with a little more knowledge of the internals will be through here shortly to help with some advice.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Are they talking about the harmonic balancer or the actual crankshaft? did they give any explanation as to what could have caused the damage? It is not very common to bend a crankshaft.....the reason I say that is because I question the integrity of the shop. there would have to be something to cause it to bend if indeed that is what happened.

Reactions: BHAMER

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
How would a crankshaft just bend? Something had to cause that. I'd question how that happened before doing anything else... And also verify that is indeed the case as it is practically unheard of to do that. Heck even hydrolocked engines usually bust off rods but not bend the crank.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
BlazingTrails said:
Are they talking about the harmonic balancer or the actual crankshaft? did they give any explanation as to what could have caused the damage? It is not very common to bend a crankshaft.....the reason I say that is because I question the integrity of the shop. there would have to be something to cause it to bend if indeed that is what happened.

Sparky said:
How would a crankshaft just bend? Something had to cause that. I'd question how that happened before doing anything else... And also verify that is indeed the case as it is practically unheard of to do that. Heck even hydrolocked engines usually bust off rods but not bend the crank.
:yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chadla11

Members Online