Blower "wasn't" working on level 5

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
Only Level 5 wasn't working, it is now.

I did some searching, I pulled fuse #35 (40A for a forking fan?). I tested it with a meter. I visually inspected it and the two prongs in the fuse box. All good.

I put it back in, blower works fine now.

Is there anything else I should inspect just to make sure?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The contacts inside the fuse box for that fuse may have overheated and lost tension. I've seen that before. If you play with the fuse while the fan is running, it might arc and miss. Giving the fuse's legs a slight twist can remedy this.

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
@Mooseman

That's one of the large fuses. The 'contacts inside the fuse box' are 2 male spades connectors. I did inspect them and the female spade connectors in the fuse and neither show any sign of getting hot. I also popped off the clear cap and pushed the element around with a probe to see if I could find a crack. I've had fuses physically break before and the crack could not be seen by the naked eye. The fuse also fits pretty tight, I can not remove it by hand. That doesn't necessarily mean both connectors are tight though. I'll pull it back out and test both sides with a different male spade connector.

I've now noticed that the problem is intermittent. Right after the first post here, I started the vehicle, set the temp sliders both all the way down (manual controls), turned on the AC and Recirc, then turned the fan to 5 and it ran fine. After a minute I switched the fan to 4 and back to 5 and it stopped.

A few minutes later I switched it back to 5 and it ran. I left it running on 5 a few mintues. Then I switched it back and forth between 5 and the other settings several times and it kept working.

Other then that, the HVAC works great. I've never had a vehicle produce hot or cold air so fast before.

40a fuse.jpg

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
The connector at the speed control module get "in trouble"... includes melting, oxide on pins and wiring "breaks". Lots of people cut and replace when the control module is acting up.

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
The connector at the speed control module get "in trouble"... includes melting, oxide on pins and wiring "breaks". Lots of people cut and replace when the control module is acting up.
Awww, I had all that out to put the new radio in :sadcry:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjs1026

Members Online