Where to mount backup cam on XUV (power roof, dual open tailgate.

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
Has anyone mounted a backup cam on the XUV?

It can't go above the window because the roof opens. I can't use the license plate mount, it will block one of the tailgate open switches. If I put it on the bottom of the license plate it will look bad.

I could mount a smaller one to the right of that, there's some kind of access plate there and all the wiring comes through on that side anyways.

???

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I haven't much experience with the XUVs sadly, but what about mounting the camera at the trailer hitch, or next to it where the wiring connector goes? Should still have easy access to running the power wire to the taillights.

Probably a long shot, but what if you went with a license plate mounted camera, and just flipped it so the camera is at the bottom so it doesn't interfere with the tailgate buttons?

Reactions: Mooseman

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I opted to mount one of my rear view cameras in the trailer hitch opening (since I never tow). Bought a plastic hitch plug, drilled a hole in it to mount he camera, and ran the wiring out the other end of the hitch. I chose to connect the power to the turn on lead for the amp which is also back there, so I could switch to the camera view when my cargo area was loaded up and I couldn't use the rear view mirror to see what was behind me. Worked out pretty well :twocents:

20200219_181614.jpg

20200215_171246 (1).jpg

20160510_180419.jpg

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
I opted to mount one of my rear view cameras in the trailer hitch opening (since I never tow). Bought a plastic hitch plug, drilled a hole in it to mount he camera, and ran the wiring out the other end of the hitch. I chose to connect the power to the turn on lead for the amp which is also back there, so I could switch to the camera view when my cargo area was loaded up and I couldn't use the rear view mirror to see what was behind me. Worked out pretty well :twocents:

I like that install. Nice and clean.

We do, however rarely, need a truck for hauling from time to time.

Our truck was totalled and we had to buy something. I wanted another old pickup. I don't really care for SUVs but we couldn't find a used truck in the price range we wanted that wasn't beat to 'animal feces'.

I didn't even know this thing existed until we found it on craigslist and it does feature a 6' truck bed with tie downs. (with 4' of it open to the sky after a few of minutes pulling levers and pushing buttons)

I'm going to peek under this access panel. Maybe I can mount it to that panel. I have to look closer at the plate too, I think the top screws are supposed to go into the body like the bottom. I may be able to modify the cam plate mounting bracket to offest the cam just a few inches to the side so it leaves room to access the switch.

This endgate (new terms I learned, on the XUV it's "midgate" and "endgate") has a lot of electrical in it that comes in through a big conduit in the bottom corner. It shouldn't be too hard to pull a few more wires through it.

Endgate.JPG

Last edited:

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
I dug into the endgate today.

The license plate is supposed to tilt like that, just not that much. It only has bottom mounting screws and rubber bumpers on top. The plastic nuts and bolts that were holding the partial frame on was making it stick out farther. I trashed that and added some plastic washers between the plate and body on the mounting screws and it sits properly now.

That black cover is just a cover, probably to stop people from trying to pull on it there, but under it is the prime spot to get a wire through the endgate. I'll have to pull the entire handle assembly off and drill a hole through it. You can see in the pic the spot where I can run the wires inside.

Capture.JPG

Sqrly

Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
Livingston CA
I ended up using the stock license plate mount. There's enough room left to easily get a few fingers on the center release button and I use the side release more often anyways.

After taking a closer look at what holds that rear trim piece all the stuff is mounted on I decided not to try an remove it. Besides the nuts there's a few plastic tabs that must be forced through the opening in the sheet metal. I think it would break too easily trying to get it back out. So I just drilled a 1/4" hole between the switch and the license plate light.

From there I sent the wire straight up to the wiper motor and followed the harness from there all the way to the back of the radio.

The cam I used is a Boyo VTL17LTJ. There's already a reverse+ going into the stereo, I tapped into that to power the cam and the LED's on it (Cam and LEDs pull 87ma). There's a ground point just inside the main body next to the harness.

BackupCam 03.jpgBackupCam 01.JPGBackupCam 02.JPGJensen 02.JPG

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evenson1

Members Online