Towing question with 2003 Envoy XL 4.2L I6

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Alansd said:
Airstream says it to be 4200 lbs with 400lb tongue weight. I suspect it is a bit heavier. But it is all original inside. Just updated. Its a 1966 model.

I'd believe the numbers given. The shell's just aluminum :rotfl:

Alansd

Feb 12, 2014
I installed a new pro series WD bar set up. As to towing in 3, on my last vehicle I did that- shut off the over drive- except for when cruising on the highway I let it shift up to reduce rpms.

Alansd

Feb 12, 2014
took my first long tow with the TB, 250 miles each way. I felt a lot of push when tractor trailers blew by me. We did 60 most of the way...I shifted down to 3rd for all the inclines. PITA but necessary.

Not sure why the big rigs effected us so much, guess I am used to the longer heavier Excursion I had for 7 years.
Any ideas on what might help that? Kind thinking I screwed up trading down in size.:confused:

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Alansd said:
took my first long tow with the TB, 250 miles each way. I felt a lot of push when tractor trailers blew by me. We did 60 most of the way...I shifted down to 3rd for all the inclines. PITA but necessary.

Not sure why the big rigs effected us so much, guess I am used to the longer heavier Excursion I had for 7 years.
Any ideas on what might help that? Kind thinking I screwed up trading down in size.:confused:

I'm a bit surprised to hear this. How long is the trailer? I wouldn't tow anything longer than 21 ft with a standard length TB.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The pressure wave from big rigs hits the trailer behind its axle first, trying to steer you in one direction. Then the wave hits in front of the axle, reversing the effect. An anti-sway friction control on the hitch may help. The effect is highest when you have a short wheelbase tow vehicle and a longer trailer with high sides. I get almost none of that with my Trailmanor, which folds down to shorter than the Roadiemobile's roof height.

Alansd

Feb 12, 2014
The_Roadie said:
The pressure wave from big rigs hits the trailer behind its axle first, trying to steer you in one direction. Then the wave hits in front of the axle, reversing the effect. An anti-sway friction control on the hitch may help. The effect is highest when you have a short wheelbase tow vehicle and a longer trailer with high sides. I get almost none of that with my Trailmanor, which folds down to shorter than the Roadiemobile's roof height.

The Airstream is 24' long plus the 3' A frame. I have been told it will handle fine if I add a friction sway bar and double check the WD bar set up. I am gonna buy the sway bar this week, as I have another trip in 12 days.

As for the downshifting I guess having the wrong rear axle ration and a 6 cyl ain't helpful

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Alansd said:
The Airstream is 24' long plus the 3' A frame. I have been told it will handle fine if I add a friction sway bar and double check the WD bar set up. I am gonna buy the sway bar this week, as I have another trip in 12 days.

As for the downshifting I guess having the wrong rear axle ration and a 6 cyl ain't helpful

Let us know how that works out. My mom and her husband towed a 24 ft trailer with their SWB TB and he could never fully get the sway under control. Instead of friction sway control, look at an Equalizer brand hitch instead. If you have to use friction sway control, consider using dual bars.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
You may want to look at the Reese dual cam WD and anti sway system (I use that) or the Equilizer. I'm not a fan of friction anti sway on larger trailers.

pdmac1946

Apr 1, 2014
I just got back to Michigan a couple of weeks ago after two months in Arizona. I have a 2005 Envoy XUV and am towing a KZ Sportsmen 273RKSS with a dry weight of about 5000 pounds. I towed to and from Arizona climbing elevations up to 5000 ft during the trip. I had all of the fluids changed in the trans, transfer case, differentials, and even the power steering. All brakes were checked and a weight distributing Equalizer hitch added. Tires were inflated to max. My gas mileage was 7.5 to 8.5 mpg. I had absolutely no problems towing at about 60 mph on the flats. I travel in "3" on the shifter. I have tried to travel in "D" before but the trans worked too hard. Climbing in altitude did break any land speed records but I was able to stay at a comfortable safe speed of around 50 mph during the steepest climb. I let the vehicle " dog " down to about 40 mph before I manually downshifted to "2" just long enough to get over a rise. Trans didn't seem to over work. I kept a rule to not let the rpm get greater than 4500 rpm getting over a rise which usually allowed me to travel up a hill at about 50 mph. All of this was on the recommendation of my GMC mechanic. I had a pleasant trip and felt that I wasn't beating the crap out of my XUV. I did have the " sucking and blowing " effect when semis past me but I don't think that is avoidable. The anti sway part of my hitch limited the effect. I took my title to the Envoy with me to Arizona in case I had trouble towing. I was going to trade it for a V8 if it gave me any grief. Didn't feel like I needed to trade up. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to. Sorry about the long response. Just wanted to share my experience.

Alansd

Feb 12, 2014
Thanks for that info.

I have been advised that my tires are a lot of the problem. The PO put on P255 70 R 16 tires all around, and I was told if i drop down to a 235 65 16 it wold greatly improve the stablity and give me an effective 3.60:1 axle ratio. He recommended Goodyear Assurance Tripletred tires too. The guy is a well known expert on towing and hitch set ups and all that.
Bummer because the tires on there now are almost new.
Meanwhile I ordered a sway control unit from Etrailer.

Alansd

Feb 12, 2014
sway control works great! Towed my camper 125 miles today in the mountains. Pulled very well staying in 3rd the whole trip. Weight distribution bars were adjusted and worked way better.

Getting to the sweet spot now.

pdmac1946

Apr 1, 2014
Alansd said:
sway control works great! Towed my camper 125 miles today in the mountains. Pulled very well staying in 3rd the whole trip. Weight distribution bars were adjusted and worked way better.

Nice. Be patient with it. I drove mine 4000 miles and it got better the farther I went. Biggest thing to remember is maintenance is key. Good luck. :smile:

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
And if you are still using those P tires, pump them up close to max allowed. It makes a big difference in stability.

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Alansd said:

Hey Alan, just wondering, What link are you in on your spring bars? It sounds to me like you have a very similar setup to mine as far as truck/trailer/weight and even hitch, and I wanted to compare. Also, what kind of brake controller are you running?

I started out on the second link on my spring bars for the initial tow, then moved it up to the 3rd link the second time out. I felt it did fine, but I really couldn't tell much difference when I went up one link.

Of course each setup is different. :smile: Just wondering though. For the links, I am counting down from where it hooks onto the trailer (so if all the way at the end of the chain thats link 1, if one link more than that, link 2, etc).

Alansd

Feb 12, 2014
I did pump the tires up to 35PSi (their stated max)...I need truck tires that can go to 55psi. The problem is these are almost new and I don't want to change them out yet.

I am using the top link n my chain right now, as the bars are pretty low. Still in process of adjusting them. I raised the hitch a notch and angled the head back a bit more, and it made the situation worse. Now I am going to have to add a few links to the chains. I want the bars and hitch to be a little higher and then angled enough to put the right amount of weight on the truck. With a longer chain I should be able to get it right. I also added a friction sway bar which seemed to help.

My brake controller is a Prodigy. I bought it about 8 years ago and it has been great. It has been installed in an F250, Excursion, and now the TB. Easy to wire up and always works. The trailer has older electric brakes but they hold fine.

CarbEnvoy

Sep 29, 2012
Nice trailer!

I have a 1965 Airstream Safari, 21' single axle. It is 3300lbs empty, and 300lb tongue weight. So far I've towed it without a WD hitch, but I had the air suspension to level it out.

Alansd

Feb 12, 2014
CarbEnvoy said:
Nice trailer!

I have a 1965 Airstream Safari, 21' single axle. It is 3300lbs empty, and 300lb tongue weight. So far I've towed it without a WD hitch, but I had the air suspension to level it out.

Love those 60's Airstreams. Mine weighs about 4200lbs. with a 450 tongue weight that I suspect is higher.
Are you on Airforums?

CarbEnvoy

Sep 29, 2012
Alansd said:
Love those 60's Airstreams. Mine weighs about 4200lbs. with a 450 tongue weight that I suspect is higher.
Are you on Airforums?

No I'm not.

Doing some internal stuff this year. Not a full redo though. New fridge, cushions recovered, curtains, and we laid some laminate flooring over the tiles.

Still have to test the electrical and plumbing systems.

The trailer was gifted to us from my inlaws. Free trailer equals about $2000 so far!

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Alansd said:
I did pump the tires up to 35PSi (their stated max)...I need truck tires that can go to 55psi. The problem is these are almost new and I don't want to change them out yet.

I am using the top link n my chain right now, as the bars are pretty low. Still in process of adjusting them. I raised the hitch a notch and angled the head back a bit more, and it made the situation worse. Now I am going to have to add a few links to the chains. I want the bars and hitch to be a little higher and then angled enough to put the right amount of weight on the truck. With a longer chain I should be able to get it right. I also added a friction sway bar which seemed to help.

My brake controller is a Prodigy. I bought it about 8 years ago and it has been great. It has been installed in an F250, Excursion, and now the TB. Easy to wire up and always works. The trailer has older electric brakes but they hold fine.
Thank you Alan for the info. Our setups are quite similar other than for adjusting the hitch head, the shop actually did that for us, so for now I'm not messing with that. I have the P3 brake controller, but I need to play around with a bit more to figure out exactly how I want it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rikosintie

Members Online