Spare Tire Heat Shield Suggestions

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Hey Guys, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a type of material I can use to make a new spare tire heat shield? I'm having trouble finding a replacement part for it so I thought I'd maybe make one. I have the pieces of the old one I can use for a template. I guess I could try a piece of thin metal. If i had some aluminum plate I'd use that. but I don't and it's not cheap.

All of the exhaust heat shields on the car have deteriorated and fallen of the bolts they are mounted with. I keep putting larger and larger washers on the bolts to hold them in place and I think I have an 8" bar holding on the one above the muffler which had completely fallen off the mounts, I found it just laying on top of the the muffler. It seems the only part of the HS that deteriorates is where it attaches to the frame.

If I could find one for above the muffler, there's enough good material left to make the one for the spare tire but I haven't been able to find a new one and I am sure it's going to be overpriced if I do find it. I'm not sure what section to search on RA and in fact I wasn't sure this is the appropriate category on here but it's sort of wheel and tire related. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Could ask a member in a not rust belt state to pull one from a truck.

Mine are still factory original with no signs of falling apart.. Been under my truck a lot lately so I checked them, is the only reason I know.

Reactions: jmonica

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Thanks. Unfortunately there are no salvage yards near me. I mean with 2-3 hours. I think there's some but it's not one where you can pull your own parts. The other problem is the ones that are 2-3 hours away are also in a state where the rust is just as bad.

I actually ended up jury rigging one out a piece of aluminum diamond plate. Drilled some holes and installed some nutserts as I didn't have and of the plastic things that hood the original on.

It's not a perfect replacement but hoping it will keep from heat soaking the spare. I'd still like to find something better.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
You need exhaust heat shield, in sheets. It's aluminized, about 0.5mm thick, so it's formable. There are a few places to get it; one that you can look at online is 'HeatSheets'. A 12 x 24 sheet will cost $25 USD there, so I'm not saying this is the cheapest place you can get the stuff. That company is in Colorado; I'm sure there are others, maybe even in Canada. They also sell 5 x quantity for $119 and 10 for $199 USD.

Don't get the exhaust wrap -- that will hold exhaust heat in (the pipe), can trap moisture, etc.

PS: I did look on car-part for you; they don't list anything (again, not the only source, but they're one of the biggest, IMO).

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
You need exhaust heat shield, in sheets. It's aluminized, about 0.5mm thick, so it's formable. There are a few places to get it; one that you can look at online is 'HeatSheets'. A 12 x 24 sheet will cost $25 USD there, so I'm not saying this is the cheapest place you can get the stuff. That company is in Colorado; I'm sure there are others, maybe even in Canada. They also sell 5 x quantity for $119 and 10 for $199 USD.

Don't get the exhaust wrap -- that will hold exhaust heat in (the pipe), can trap moisture, etc.

PS: I did look on car-part for you; they don't list anything (again, not the only source, but they're one of the biggest, IMO).
Thanks so much for your time and help!!!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
As I said before, you might just ask someone, like me, if next time I go to the salvage yard, I could see if I could locate some.

Corrosion is almost non-existent here

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
As I said before, you might just ask someone, like me, if next time I go to the salvage yard, I could see if I could locate some.

Corrosion is almost non-existent here
Hi! I was wondering if I could impose on you, the next time you go to the Salvage yard to see if maybe you could pick me up a spare tire heat shield? I would be eternally grateful. Thank You

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I could.. But would need to know which heat shield you are after, and if you are a short or long wheel base. And what year. One heat shield is different at the rear of the truck in the later years. Some came with the trash can muffler, others didnt.

Last edited:

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
I have '06 Envoy SLT so short wheel base. I need the hat shield that protects the spare tire from the exhaust right near the rear resonator can. I can take a photo of the old one but it's in pieces. It may help soft you to see it though. Man, I really appreciate this very much. Thank You!!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evenson1

Members Online