Solved: Dual XVM279SPK2

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
I am def not a radio guy, but my neighbor is. I picked up a VERY cheap Dual Radio for my '03 Trailblazer, got the wiring harness and antennae adapter (from O'Reilly's) and the mounting kit from Wally's. Followed the color coding on the wires pigtail, soldered it together plugged it all together and nothing... Neighbor comes over to help debug. We get the meter out and everything has continuity from connector to connector (pin to pin per colors). He then cuts into the Red and Yellow wires, and only gets the unit to turn on when combining them. Red to yellow, and yellow to red doesn't work.

Of course, the unit stays on whether with the key on or not. I can turn it off when not in the vehicle, but I am concerned about the battery, and bypassing the inline fuse, too.

No back-up camera and no amp in use.

Any help will be appreciated.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
You have to buy the module for the radio to do that, or find a switched 12v power source. I seem to remember there was one in the steering column, but cant remember.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
You have to buy the module for the radio to do that, or find a switched 12v power source. I seem to remember there was one in the steering column, but cant remember.
Not being a Car Guy, what "Module for the radio" you speak of? It came with its wiring harness and I purchased the new harness for the vehicle side.

As far as Switched, does this mean to find a HOT wire that is only hot when the ignition is on? Perhaps the Cig Lighter? Would that 12V wire go to yellow or red?

Sorry to ask so many questions.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Reactions: Robbabob

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Found this when I search for Trailblazer on the Scosche website..

Again, I dont know if this is what you need.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012

OK, Thank you! I will work with my neighbor to better figure out the links you provided.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Thats just a chime box.. You need a box that will take the 5V reference signal to turn on, and switch it to a 12V for power.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
This is one of the reasons I never upgraded the radios in any of my 2000+ GM vehicles. Chime Module, Bose Interface, SWC interface, etc... Just gets expensive with all the modules you have to buy, plus the radio, and dash bezel.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you don't have Bose, it's actually quite easy. I used a cheap Scosche interface for the power and chimes in my 07 TB. It was more complicated in my 02 with Bose. In that one, I eventually wound up with a PAC interface that was capable to using the Bose amp.

I had terrible luck with Metra and Axxess in the 02, both just keeping the power on and no sound. The PAC was solid. Also used a PAC in the Saab with Bose.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Of course, the unit stays on whether with the key on or not. I can turn it off when not in the vehicle, but I am concerned about the battery, and bypassing the inline fuse, too.
You are right to be concerned. To have the unit stay on full-time (like a VW), you've got the +12v switched input connected to a +12 'hot at all times' wire. If you had both wires hooked up to a +12v switched, then the radio would turn off at key out / door open (RAP, or retained accessory power), which would drain the battery less, but you'd lose the clock / radio presets (no power for the 'keep alive' memory, so it's volatile).

No back-up camera and no amp in use.
'No amp in use' -- does that mean you didn't install an outboard amp, or that there's no (Bose) factory amp installed?

If there's a Bose amp installed, you'll need what Metra Electronics called a GMOS-04 (but I think is now known as AXGM-04, as Metra revised their product numbers). This is for factory systems with a (bose) amp where you want to retain the amp capability.

If you've got just the base radio, the GMOS-01 (or AXGM-01) should give you what you need.

Both include the chime box so you retain the factory chimes (they're built into the radio), and the harnesses make everything plug and play -- no wire cutting needed.

I've used both the GMOS-01 and -04 kits. My Sierra came with Bose, but since I wanted to run aftermarket speakers and bypass the Bose amp, I used a GMOS-01 there, and had no problems. Wired the Pioneer stereo speaker leads to the aftermarket speaks in the front doors (using adapters), and I was in business. (btw, I bypassed the Bose amp because they 'wear out' (break)).

I'm the oddball who likes Metra / Axxess (same company). I dislike Scosche because they have a reputation for being DOA or breaking. PAC, I can't rate, as I haven't used their stuff, but reviewing features of both, I picked Metra and have had good results.

If you have the steering wheel buttons, and want to retain them, get the AXSWC box. But I personally wouldn't bother... it's listed at $111, and the radio buttons are on the RH side of the steering wheel. Why pay that money to save six inches of reach? To be fair, you can remap the buttons with this device, so that the climate buttons on the LH side become radio buttons, but I still wouldn't bother, myself.

Note that Metra is listing a MSRP on the GMOS kits at about $179, which is pretty spendy (there's a good chance your Dual didn't cost as much).

For potentially cheaper prices, you can look on Amazon or eBay. Amazon often has 'returned' merchandise they'll sell cheaper than the 'new' stuff; I got two of the SWC boxes for $40-50 each, as an example.

Metra's site is at: metraonline.com
They have a vehicle lookup engine, but more than one product can work with your vehicle, so it can be a little tricky to narrow down the choices.

Note: I don't work for Metra; just passing on what works for me. YMMV.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012

This looks like the winner.
Thats just a chime box.. You need a box that will take the 5V reference signal to turn on, and switch it to a 12V for power.
Very aggravating when a youtube video references that assembly. I initially thought it WAS just a Chime Box, then talked myself into believing it would work :-(
If you don't have Bose, it's actually quite easy. I used a cheap Scosche interface for the power and chimes in my 07 TB. It was more complicated in my 02 with Bose. In that one, I eventually wound up with a PAC interface that was capable to using the Bose amp.

I had terrible luck with Metra and Axxess in the 02, both just keeping the power on and no sound. The PAC was solid. Also used a PAC in the Saab with Bose.
"Cheap" is right, but... when I paid basement price for a basement upgrade, the $89 interface is higher than I'd prefer. Getting it anyway, and I appreciate your input.
You are right to be concerned. To have the unit stay on full-time (like a VW), you've got the +12v switched input connected to a +12 'hot at all times' wire. If you had both wires hooked up to a +12v switched, then the radio would turn off at key out / door open (RAP, or retained accessory power), which would drain the battery less, but you'd lose the clock / radio presets (no power for the 'keep alive' memory, so it's volatile).

'No amp in use' -- does that mean you didn't install an outboard amp, or that there's no (Bose) factory amp installed?
Hunting down a 12v switched isn't worth my time since I am not a wiring expert.

Yes, no Bose amp, just the baseline factory unit.

The Dual radio cost all of $35 on sale, so any of the "necessary" adapters are putting me all-in. I just ordered the Scosche, even though it comes with the steering cable I won't need.

Biggest reason I am going ahead with the upgrade is the Dual radio is giving me hands-free calling through Bluetooth. I will update y'all when this is put to bed.

Time to donate to our (this) site again.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Resolved!

not sure how to change the title of the thread

The link shows bare wires for splicing into the new radio, but mine came with a hard plastic 1-piece double connector. Just had to cut the wires away from that connector and solder them to my new radio pigtail/harness.

Thank you all again!

• Love
Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Glad we could help!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member