Service Airbag Code B0012-OD

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I did ask this on the Tahoe/Yukon site and @TollKeeper did chime in....thanks. I will consider the clockspring as recommended.

I wanted to post here also now that I'm back from vaca. This is on my 2012 Yukon and I will have the light for awhile, then it goes away for a few days...now it's back on.

I don't know if the code is for what might be inside the steering wheel, or any circuit associated with the steering wheel airbag...which could be anything.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of the Tech 2, and it shows that "Loop 1" is above the resistance threshold.

Screenshot_20230628-202601_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230628-202636_Gallery.jpg

I don't have the knowledge here for doing resistance measurements on the bag itself...I don't want a face full of talcum powder...lol. I know there is a safe way other than just disconnecting the battery using other grounding devices...I didn't want to take that route yet.

I did remove the bag and looked around and the connections inside the wheel area look clean.

I have not checked the front sensors behind the bumper cover yet

Very curious what this circuit consists of...maybe @TJBaker57 has dove into this before..if not, this is my "bat signal" lol.

Any input appreciated.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
There is a TSB covering this issue for many GM and GMC Vehicles that may have identified other issues as well:

@gmcman ... Is it Okay to Link this Thread to the "Additional Tech 2 and VXDIAG -NANO Resoucres" Thread?

Attachments

• MC-10137623-9999.pdf
    108.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: gmcman

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Thanks.

I wanted to add this vehicle had the airbag recall performed in Feb of 2021.

Today I pulled the wheel and checked all the wiring back to the module on the LH side of the dash.

ALL the wires from the connectors on the module to the wheel check out with about .4 -.5 ohms. Rotating the click spring doesn't affect the readings.

My gut is saying either the airbag itself or maybe something in the seat? Does the drivers seat have any safety measures like the passenger side?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Don't know if it was mentioned on the other forum but you could remove and disconnect the airbag and check the continuity from the connector in the steering wheel to the lower harness connector following the schematics. That would confirm or eliminate the clockspring as the source.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Don't know if it was mentioned on the other forum but you could remove and disconnect the airbag and check the continuity from the connector in the steering wheel to the lower harness connector following the schematics. That would confirm or eliminate the clockspring as the source.

Slow update here.....

Thanks Mooseman....yes, today I pulled the wheel, clockspring, and started checking resistance from the wheel back to the module inside the driver's door.

All the wires were .4-.5 ohms and I pulled all the connections between the module that I could see and watched for any fluctuations when wiggling the wires.

I checked all the wires while rotating the clockspring also. I pulled the connections from the front impact sensors, both sensors were at 2.9-3 ohms, all terminals looked clean.

I pulled all the locking harnesses in the module and reseated a few times, no corroded terminals.

I did not check the airbag resistance, above my pay grade in regards to proper methods to secure the circuit to test.

I put it all back together, and no warning light. Tech 2 shows 2.9 ohms now instead of 4.6 so we shall see.

Screenshot_20230629-180610_Gallery.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesussaves

Members Online