Noob Buying Some Tools

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
xtitan1 said:
Why would they need to use a hair dryer when it's 30 degrees outside?
They sort of figured out the 1 pound propane bottle was too cold, and warming it up inside the SUV was too slow, so they tried the hair dryer. They had a miserable night anyway with thin sleeping bags, and they argued over one crawling over the other to get out of their new tiny tent, because they didn't even know it had a zipper door on both sides.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
I am considering getting the 26 gallon compressor. They usually have that for about 150-180 dollars. The air hammer would have saved me quite a few times already.

xtitan1

Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
meerschm said:
I am not sure I would advise driving around with 8 gallons of 115 psi air inside the cabin. the accidental release (like from an accident) would not be fun.

[video=youtube;KVP_A7eGYxw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVP_A7eGYxw[/video]

Oh I was totally joking if that was in a response to my comment, but regardless thanks for the video that's a good FYI. I really need to get my vehicle trauma kit together.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I just had bad visions of a member on the trail, hitting a rock and having the compressor tank cut loose.

really just a reminder and call for careful maintenance of any air compressor. :smile::thumbsup:

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
WTF would anyone drive around or leave the tank loaded? Just about every tank is supposed to be emptied when not in use. Not draining the tank leads to rust, which leads to tank failure and explosion. Hell it's written on a red label on the side of my tank.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
so lets hope the adapted bumper tubes as air containers are properly leak checked (twice working pressure at least using water:undecided:) regularly, have proper overpressure relief valves, and never smack hard objects when pressurized.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
meerschm said:
:hijack: so lets hope the adapted bumper tubes as air containers are properly leak checked (twice working pressure at least using water:undecided:) regularly, have proper overpressure relief valves, and never smack hard objects when pressurized.

:rolleyes: I'll relay to the actual mechanical engineers whose bumpers those belong to your concerns.

xtitan1

Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
I was watching some videos from my boy MAY03LT and I wanted to add his suggestion that if replacing the coolant, a spill free funnel is a good idea (although it's not required):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-OkadN5YDU

A quick search on Amazon and I think this product is something comparable:
Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel : Amazon.com : Automotive

Also, they aren't really tools, but you may want to check out the spare parts and tools needed to install them from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuWCSKXRYuM

xtitan1

Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
rmsg0040 said:
My suggestion:

LED headlamp
Ratcheting wrenches
Electric impact

LED headlamp is a good idea. Though I know there is a wide spectrum of quality out there so if anyone has researched it I'd like to know your thoughts. I need a couple including one for a vehicle med kit that ideally would be as reliable as possible.

The electric impact I have no buyers remorse about, but that's really because of its ability for home improvement and woodworking. I can quickly do and undo bolts but it's not like it takes that long with a ratchet. And if you have a real tight bolt, it's not powerful enough. I think mike's idea of using a harbor freight compressor for 110 bucks and 40 bucks for the air impact wrench is a good idea if you want an impact wrench. It's about the same price but it's stronger and you also now have an air compressor for other stuff.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
I got 2 led headlamps

LED lenser from homedepot :

Battery pack on the rear, 3AAA, but cheaper LED bulbs

Streamlight haz-lo:

Battery pack on the front, 3AA batteries, higher quality LED bulb, double or triple the price of LED lenser, more geared towards professionals

Both are good IMO

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
meerschm said:
so lets hope the adapted bumper tubes as air containers are properly leak checked (twice working pressure at least using water:undecided:) regularly, have proper overpressure relief valves, and never smack hard objects when pressurized.

Don't you worry, we'll be extra-sure and strap one of these to their roof and patch their system through it.

This house me and my roomies live in used to be one of them's dad's house, and he used to do some tinkering with engines. We have a workbench complete with grinder downstairs, just need to clear it out. I have my own tools (and plenty of them, it's my version of a woman's shoe collection) but there's plenty more down there we need to go through, find anything I'd like/need I'll probably buy it off him. Who knows what treasures await below me!? Also, there's a wheelchair down there... :undecided:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macicg65

Members Online