I did it again!

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Heard back from the insurance company for Discount Tire..

"regardless of the cost, we will repair the vehicle"

To which I responded "are you sure?? The preliminary estimates I got are not cheap, into the 1000's of dollars? One shop I had look at it said likely 4-8000, as parts are no longer available new"

They responded "Yes we will make you whole, and provide a rental car"
What happened to this promise ?

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So FleetResponse, the insurance company for Discount Tire, offered me 1/6th the actual value of the Saturn. I told them to fly a kite, and handed it over to my insurance carrier.

My insurance carrier totaled it out (expected), but only gave me only slightly less than what it was worth in a retail market.

They are now suing FleetResponse/Discount tire so they can be made whole, and then pay me my deductible back ($250).

Insurance paid me $6287.58, and I still will recoup another $250 when they settle with FleetResponse.

Drivers side sliding door still doesnt work.. And I think we are just going to leave it that way, and disconnect the handles/motor. The van works fine, and looks fine. Just one door dont work the way it should.

Sold her Aztek last week, now we are down to no spare vehicle. I dont like it, but it is what it is.

Rivian just got delivered to the dealer, and I talked to my tax guy, who reviewed my taxes, and told me to tell them I would take delivery in January. I have an over obundence of tax credits, and nothing to gain. So I zeroed out my federal with holdings, so I would owe money in 2025, but with the tax credits, I wont.

I think the battery or alternator on the Saturn is dieing, so gotta add that into the work schedule!

No other complaints on the Saturn. With the miles my wife drives, the fuel mileage SUCKS! but she only drives it maybe 2-4 miles a day.. if that! A tank of gas can literally last her a month!

Cleaned out the garage over the weekend so the wife could park in there.. Just in time for the 6-8 inches of snow we got.

My wife wants me to see about putting heated seats in the Saturn, which I can do with a aftermarket kit. Just have to find a power source. With my bad back, I am okay with doing it too.

Only other thing we have going on is trying to find a bluetooth module that works on this factory radio. Going aftermarket is not an option because of the RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment/Video System)... So I gotta work on that. I need to pull the bluetooth module out of the Envoy and see if it works in her car. If it does, I will just order another. If it doesnt...... I dont know.

And that opens another can of worms.. I need to see about updating the firm ware on the DVD player. So far, out of the 100's of DVD's we have, only 1 will play.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So after doing some research on why the drivers sliding door is latched and closed, but if opened, the computer for it throws a fit that the door isnt opened or closed..

Turns out there is a relearn procedure after any work is done on the doors.

Remove the 3 fuses (2 J- Fuses, and 1 spade fuse), leave the fuse out for 5 minutes, reinstall, and open and close the door with the interior (only) buttons. You have to press and hold the button for each operation, for 2 openings, and 2 closings. Procedure done.

Door works! It doesnt open the smoothest, as the rail got a little pinched from the Discount Tire deal. I opened it up the best I could. But it aint prefect.

Wife is just happy to have all doors be useable!

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well.. The van will likely (not guaranteed) be going away in a few months.

Its been a good, and very reliable van. Its cheap to operate, and suits all my wifes needs for her business and kids.

Nothing set in stone... But I just want to get her something newer, and a bit larger. Looking at a 2012-2024 Toyota Sienna AWD. She likes the Tesla Model Y, but having 2 EV's just doesnt sit well with me. Need one ICE for when the poo hits the fan!

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJack

Members Online