Drove 97x maiden voyage about ten miles

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
Drove 97x maiden voyage about ten miles

Previous driving of the 97x was limited to the backyard, it was unregistered.

Took her out on the expressway and a little around the neiborhood couple observations and ?s

The suspension felt kindof stiff.

97x has decent getup and go for what type of vehicle it is, she felt strong going up the steep expressway ramp.

Exceptionally good braking.

When unlocking w/ key fob the rear taillights didn’t blick upon opening. Actually I haven’t even tested the taillights yet.

?1.Haven’t looked very closely yet but apparently the rear seat can’t be removed?

?2.where is the spare tire jack stowed maybe under the rear seat?

?3. the 97x have a oil preasure gauge is the 12 O clock position 40psi?
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/575701/Saab-9-7x.html?page=162#manual

?4.the alternater gauge is the 12 O clock position 12V?

?5. the water temp guage is the 12 O clock position 190*?

thanks

Attachments

• temp guage.jpg
    temp guage.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
1. That is correct
2. That is correct. Seat flips. Look for a loop to pull on to unlock and flip the seat.
3. That's worse than my metric. According to US trucks' gauges, straight up should be 40 psi. On V8 only, they are a real oil pressure reading. The I6 4.2, it's fake readings.
4. 14V
5. 220f

Use this as a reference. For a TB SS in the US.

46621488.jpg

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
the seller must have thought he needed the spare tire stuff more than I did leaves me w/ nothing except bottle jack w/out a way to turn it.

?6.the lid on the console won't stay shut is there a fix for this?

?7.how many amps is the alternater?

cruised around about 30 miles today
?8.can I scroll though the information display like where your image says oil life %

thanks for advice

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
6. I'd say cut the spring. It'll stay shut!
7. 4.2L: 150A 5.3L: 145A
8. Sure. Just use the buttons on the dash below the center vents. Can also change options.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
You can get a jack kit on the Bay, junkyards, craigslist, etc. Can be from any make, not just the Saab. If you get one from a LWB, I think you may get an 'extra' extension, but it'll still work.

I think I paid $40 for a complete LWB kit (including the lwb storage pouch) from a local junkyard a couple of years ago.

IIRC, the regular kit came with the bottle jack, two 90 degree pieces (chocks / jack 'riser',) the lug wrench / jack handle, and two extensions. The 90' chocks can be dispensed with, if you find a kit w/o them (they're pretty flimsy, and sturdier ones don't cost that much.)

Get a 4-way; the handle is next to useless on the lug nuts. The nuts are 19mm, if all you have is a breaker / ratchet, or you're at home.
100ft/lb to tighten.

Make sure the cable isn't seized *before* you need the spare. Replacement hoists are available and fairly easy to install, if your cable is seized (if so, just cut the cable & replace.)

Reactions: Mooseman

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
OK thanks for advice.

I borrowed the long tube w/ square end, It took me more than a few trys to lower the spare. I usalley take my floor jack on my 200 mile one way trip to the GOM gulf of mexico however the 97x is so small and it seams to be closing in on me, very little luggage room and really no place to lie down.

I'm kindof used to towing w/ the full sized express van it will take some time to adjust.

cruised around another 10 miles yesterday.

?9.my next observation is a bit irratating the wind noise at over 50MPH it's like the windows aren't rolled up all the way but there are, is this noise normal?.

?10.the 97x doe's have a burgular alarm however I don't see the red blicking light associated w/ the alarm turned on? so locking the doors automatically turns it on correct?

?11. is it possiable to turn off the lighted red message (passeneger side air bag turned off)?

?12.when I reassembled the cylinder head was a big time comsumming job the air fliters cover came up misplaced so I have a exposed air fliter, will no AF cover create a check engine light?

?13. still no display on the NAV or radio not even time, the radio plays fine and the white back lights do come on, sounds OK for OEM tryed to press eject buttom to hopefully find a NAV DVD basicalley held the eject buttom nothing came out.
is there a fix for a blank NAV display?
Thanks again SM

Last edited:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
SM said: "is there a fix for a blank NAV display?"

Having a Nav DVD is a good place to start.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
9. Well, no. Check the weatherstripping on the doors.

10. IIRC, using the key fob to lock the doors activates it. Check the owners manual.

11. No. Use tape over it or replace the mirror with an older one without it (I did that on my '07 to add a temp gauge. No ill effect)

12. No but do have an air filter in place or the MAF may be damaged. Cover is available from GM and not expensive.

13. if only the NAV is blank, yeah, having the NAV DVD should help. Good luck finding one and beware of Chinese copies. I have seen one that was literally screwed up by one and was totally inoperable.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online