Antennas

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
So I'm about done with my Radio Shack antenna. It barely picks up any radio frequency. I'm new to CB's and such, and just have a Cobra CB that I picked up from Walmart. Having that said, I don't need a fancy antenna for what I need, which is listening to Chanel 9 for weather updates, and other channels for highway closers. Looking at the Wilson Little Wil antenna, but the reviews are so hit or miss, and state that you need a tuner to tune the antenna. :crazy:

Any help will be more than appreciated!

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Actually you need an SWR meter to tune the antenna for transmission. Where do you have your antenna mounted? That makes a big difference because most of the antennas out there are base loaded, this means that the antenna needs to be mounted higher to get your best performance. A Firestik antenna is actually top loaded so the higher the tip of the antenna is the more it will receive. Antenna can only receive in the line of sight, if all they see is a weak signal you receive a weak signal.

Reactions: Trkdrvremt

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
No idea what an SWR meter is, (. Maybe I can borrow a meter from one of my Wanna be red neck friends ). Although, I would prefer something ready to roll right out of the box (if that's even feasible).
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427259773.900650.jpg

My Radio Shack antenna is laying horizontal, zipped tied to my rails to my roof crossbars. I couldn't find anywhere else to put it. I have a vertical bar mount for it (no spring), so my only option is tail light guards and I don't like the look of those. [emoji53]

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Wilson or k40 both are good brands.. You will only get out and receive as good as your equipment is... That said, ditch that radio shack antenna get a decent magnet mount or go all out and do an actual body mount style. Also Be sure to not run your coax where it will get pinched.
You can pick up a cheap swr meter for under 20 bucks on amazon or eBay to help you tune your antenna.

Reactions: SnowBlazer
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Dude you can't get out with the antenna basically laying on ur roof. Lol.. Get that puppy up in the air!

Also If you mount it to the crossbar on luggage rack. Be sure to run a ground wire from one of the bolts on the rack to the antenna mount.. Cb antennas need a good ground to operate properly...

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
That's why I'm considering the little wil. It seems as if the magnetic antennas are the best all around option. (Grounding, mounting, and ease) That Little Wil is only $30 so I might take a stab at it and see what it has to offer. Considering I barely get the emergency channel (CH9)

And that my antenna now is a no ground antenna. :yes:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I love my firestick, but you will be best with anything if you check your swr.

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
Something i always done with my antenna installations was to trim off the excess antenna wire and put a new end on. Less wire=less loss. If you d not want to put a new end on then try and route your slack in a couple of "S" shapes. Not wise to just coil it up. Makes like an electromagnet and messes with the impedance of the wire.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
SnowBlazer said:
I would love a Firestik but, there's no where to put one with out tail guards or drilling into the body...which I'm not a fan of. :blush:
If you were feeling wild and don't mind a vertical antenna I imagine it could be mounted on one of the roof rack cross bars..

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
SnowBlazer said:
I would love a Firestik but, there's no where to put one with out tail guards or drilling into the body...which I'm not a fan of. :blush:
If you really want to use a magmount for the false grounding you can get one for the Firestik as well.

DAlastDON said:
Something i always done with my antenna installations was to trim off the excess antenna wire and put a new end on. Less wire=less loss. If you d not want to put a new end on then try and route your slack in a couple of "S" shapes. Not wise to just coil it up. Makes like an electromagnet and messes with the impedance of the wire.
Running at 27MHz the loss is very little at the length and frequency used. If you coil it up it actually makes a toroid coil which attenuates the signal. If it is coiled too tightly it will change the impedance only because you exceed the bed radius of the coax, a simple coil does not change the impedance.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I use a Little Wil on the family sedan on road trips. I couldn't ask for a better small antenna. Gets out and hears great. I have a Wilson 1000 as well that I used on my C1500. Great antenna. Set the SWR and off ya go. I'm sure there are vids on utoob on SWR meter operation. If not, we can walk you through it.

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
I'm hesitant about the little wil for two minor things...

First off, because my garage has about a foot of extra clearance between my car and the door way. Wil is a 3' antenna, thought about putting it on the side of my hood but, I don't know if it'll get well enough reception.

Also, I don't want the magnet tearing up my paint. If it's as heavy duty as I think.

:undecided:

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
The magnets have a protective sheet on the bottom. My LW doesn't have it on there anymore, so I cut a piece of cloth to go under it when I use it. On the family sedan ('04 Impala), it works great on the trunk, so I don't see any reason it wouldn't work on the hood. I have seen trucks with an antenna mounted the front fender for clearance reasons.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesussaves

Members Online