2008 Cadillac CTS "No communication"

Caddimac

Original poster
Sep 4, 2023
texas
Seeing if anyone could possibly help. I have a 2008 Cadillac CTS with keyless ignition start. The other day i went to the gas station and when i tried to get back in the car to start it the car did no recognize my key fob. So i ended up getting it towed back to my house. I changed the battery on the fob and grabbed the other fob key and put a new battery in that one also but still same thing. Went got a new car battery and still same thing. I was thinking in getting a Techwin or MDI 1 so i could see what the problem is. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Caddimac

Original poster
Sep 4, 2023
texas
Was the key detected but not recognized? Or not detected at all?

I am not familiar with the system but read some stories from other CTS owners whose fobs were not detected.
Does not recognize at all. The security light is on.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
maybe check fuses.

quick read of the GM SI seems to indicate "lots of possibilities"... :-( Is the security indicator flashing / solid? With key off, the indicator is a "theft indicator", with key on, its a system fault indicator. There are some body codes that might help if you can get someone to read them / any.

Since you indicator not being recognized, I suspect you can't "turn a key" (does it even have a key... lucky I only have a lowly trailblazer), that would suggest perhaps comms with the BCM have been lost. Again, maybe check fuses there in along with connections to that unit along with the RCDLR.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Last edited:

Caddimac

Original poster
Sep 4, 2023
texas
I checked all the fuses and relays and they are all good. Was thinking about getting the Techstream clone with mdi passthrough to see what the problem is and could update or program new fobs if needed to be.

Ecmbuster

Aug 26, 2023
3rd planet from the sun
Techstream = Toyota however, Tech2Win will install along side especially with Windows 7.
MDI clone can mean anything all depending on the seller.
A decent MDI is a J2534 passthru device and is required with Tech2Win.
That would mean this Techstream clone has the correct divers with the MDI.
With the correct drivers and if the MDI is recognized by Tech2Win, it will connect to that GM providing the correct .bin file is used (North America Operations xx.xxx)
At the very least, Tech2Win can access the networks to retrieve all recorded faults and view the status of each ignition cycle.
Quick and easy with the PCM:
Maybe a fault is recorded as a guide.

Attachments

• Application.png
    Application.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Tech2Win.JPG
    Tech2Win.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 8

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Off topic: Out of curiosity, what is the difference between Chevrosys and Chevrosys Pro? I have the non-pro and seems to fullfill my needs.

Caddimac

Original poster
Sep 4, 2023
texas
Techstream = Toyota however, Tech2Win will install along side especially with Windows 7.
MDI clone can mean anything all depending on the seller.
A decent MDI is a J2534 passthru device and is required with Tech2Win.
That would mean this Techstream clone has the correct divers with the MDI.
With the correct drivers and if the MDI is recognized by Tech2Win, it will connect to that GM providing the correct .bin file is used (North America Operations xx.xxx)
At the very least, Tech2Win can access the networks to retrieve all recorded faults and view the status of each ignition cycle.
Quick and easy with the PCM:
Maybe a fault is recorded as a guide.
I ordered the MDI 2 clone and also got the software for windows. MDI 2 also supports TECH2WIN but i could use the MDI 2 as a passthru to update modules and program new keys if needed to be. I was wondering if i need to buy a VIN# programming for each vehicle?

Ecmbuster

Aug 26, 2023
3rd planet from the sun
The MDI 2 clone that you are referring to is an MDI inside the body of an MDI 2.
Been there, done that, wrote the book on it.

To accomplish any programming, a subscription is required from GM.
https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions
The VIN can be purchased and have access for ($59.00) for 24 months (1 purchase per VIN)
(Service Programming System (SPS2)

Tech2Win will operate with the correct .bin file but it does NOT perform any controller programming. Tech2Win is a great application.

With the subscription, any controller can be programmed but be aware, a power supply must be attached to the battery at all times, NOT a battery charger.
Use this included file to look around and see what you're getting into. The file opens the needed links and included reading material. If a controller is purchased, get an OEM version.
Read the Techline Connect document as well. That will be a secondary application.
Tech2Win off-line can not reside within the Techline Connect and Service Programming System. One will trash the other and that is why mine are kept separated.
Wrote the book on that as well.
Yes, two completely separate machines to save the applications.

Attachments

• index.pdf
    187.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Caddimac

Original poster
Sep 4, 2023
texas
Thanks for the all the helpful information. I noticed you mentioned to get a "OEM" controller.. What are you referring to as OEM bc i purchased the MDI 2 "CLONE" version.

Caddimac

Original poster
Sep 4, 2023
texas
The MDI 2 clone that you are referring to is an MDI inside the body of an MDI 2.

The VIN can be purchased and have access for ($59.00) for 24 months (1 purchase per VIN)

Tech2Win will operate with the correct .bin file but it does NOT perform any controller programming. Tech2Win is a great application.

With the subscription, any controller can be programmed but be aware, a power supply must be attached to the battery at all times, NOT a battery charger.
Use this included file to look around and see what you're getting into. The file opens the needed links and included reading material. If a controller is purchased, get an OEM version.
Read the Techline Connect document as well. That will be a secondary application.
Tech2Win off-line can not reside within the Techline Connect and Service Programming System. One will trash the other and that is why mine are kept separated.
I do have the tech2win installed on a laptop. Would I be able to use it for diagnostic when I purchase the (sps2) ?

Caddimac

Original poster
Sep 4, 2023
texas

I pulled the codes and got

Attachments

• IMG_20231124_140114.jpg
    IMG_20231124_140114.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 8

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Download, Save and Review as often as needed THIS Video COMPLETELY ...in all of its exquisite detail... to conduct further Cadillac BCM B2615 Diagnostics and Repairs:

Cause and Origin:

CADILLACB2615CODEA.jpg

Suggested Locations to Probe and Test for an Open Circuit (Broken Wires), Short to Ground (-) or Short to Power (+) or Possible Damaged BCM Wiring, or a Damaged Door Switch on either the Driver Side or Passenger Side of the Cadillac:

CADILLACB2615CODEB.jpg

THESE are your Tools-Of-Choice (and the next logical move) to use towards figuring things out, once you get your hands and eyes on the Wiring Diagrams of these Three Circuit Locations (BCM, Driver Door Switch, Passenger Door Switch)... and of course, ALL of the Interior Courtesy Light Locations involved:

DIGITALMM.JPG

You'll be Checking for "Powers and Grounds" at the various locations with the Door Switches being Depressed and Released for Proper Activation (or Indications of Damage) while each door is COMPLETELY opened up (But... Only One Side at A Time):

LIGHTPINPROBE.jpg

THIS is Good Place to START your Diagnosis by Observing the lay of the land

Watch #4 in THIS Generic Cadillac Video to get additional Ideas of where to Start Looking for the Door Switches and Door Latch Actuators ...Just In Case they are tied in indirectly with this issue:

Last edited:

Caddimac

Original poster
Sep 4, 2023
texas
UPDATE : Still no start. Here is a video I took seeing if anyone could possibly know what's going on with it.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Have you posted the Video over on YouTube...? Because it does not appear linked in your last Post #21. Is there any chance that somebody either worked on, *fiddled* around with or R&R'd the Ignition Switch... or does your Cadillac CTS instead use a " Push-Button" Style Starter Module?

Last edited:

Caddimac

Original poster
Sep 4, 2023
texas
Have you posted the Video over on YouTube...? Because it does not appear linked in your last Post #21. Is there any chance that somebody either worked on, *fiddled* around with or R&R'd the Ignition Switch... or does your Cadillac CTS instead use a " Push-Button" Style Starter Module?

Attachments

• 2008cts.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

Caddimac

Original poster
Sep 4, 2023
texas
There I got the video uploaded. Any help would be much appreciated. As you can see in the video the security light stays on. I believe it's the Ecm. Let me know if you think that could be the problem. I can purchase a used ECM for $35-40 and change the Vin to match my car since I have all the equioto do so.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If it' anything like trucks, there is a security relearn procedure that could work and will need to be done if you replace the ECM even if you match the VIN.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJack