2002 Silverado not shifting past 2nd gear.

mloranzan

Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Ohio
I recently purchased a 2002 silverado lt with the 5.3 and 4l60e trans in it. When driving it shifts from 1st to 2nd perfectly fine, but when it goes to shift into 3rd it just stays in 2nd. It's like it is holding 2nd and not attempting to go into 3rd.

All of the threads I've read about the 3-4 clutch packs failing, they say that when it goes to shift into 3rd it feels like it's going into neutral. That is not the case with mine. It is simply holding 2nd gear.

I have replaced the A and B shift solenoids, new filter and fluid and had no change. I have changed the ignition switch and VSS also with no change. I have checked the ign 0 fuse and the btsi fuse and both checked out fine.

I have tested wiring from PCM to the trans and everything checked out fine. I am getting power to the trans and the A, B and TCC solenoids all ohm'd perfectly fine.

I have ruled out the 3-4 clutch packs by disconnecting the trans harness and driving it. It put the trans in "limp mode" and only drove in 3rd. I also am not getting any codes.

Is there something else that I may be missing? I feel like I have checked everything possible.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This thread was resolved with a new filter and fluid but you did that already:

What was the fluid condition and contents of the pan like when you changed it?

This one says the tranny needs a rebuild:

mloranzan

Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Ohio
This thread was resolved with a new filter and fluid but you did that already:

What was the fluid condition and contents of the pan like when you changed it?

This one says the tranny needs a rebuild:

Fluid looked fine. A little dark as expected, but no burnt fluid smell no metal in the pan.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesussaves

Members Online